Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Providing captioning on videos and alt text on photos are two ways to make course content more accessible. 

Whether teaching or designing websites or other pursuits, I always keep in mind those with disabilities. I try to account for as many as I can especially in the art/design department and consideration for colorblind or partially visually impaired people. Making things accessible to EVERYONE is just about impossible, but making it as accessible as you can should be a goal in design.

Given that my course is moving to be fully online I may ask if CNT instructors can get Dragon to produce transcripts of our lectures.

I can start by recording my lectures. I would need to get familiar with the tools available to me. I should also provide transcripts of my lectures. I should make sure my instructions are clear and concise.

Color is a big part of wiring electrical circuits and doing telephone and resistors. Some items have no work arounds. What is not an issue for some disabilities is an issue for another. 

I have learned that all LMSs are not accessible.  This is concerning, and I will be looking at the degree of accessibility of our institution's checklist.  I am also going to make a checklist from what we reviewed so that I can keep in mind what I need to be aware of long-term to be sure what I am presenting is accessible.

All audio or video files used must have captioning and written transcript. Be aware of these points:

• You should provide captioning and a written transcript for every component in the course retroactively;
  • Transcriptions done after the fact can be time-consuming. Ask for help from the disability services office;
  • Screen capture programs like Camtasia have built in captioning capabilities; and
  • All external links to videos on the web must also have captions and transcriptions.
  • Remove all formatting when cutting and pasting into Blackboard.
  • Be sure to provide alternative ways to access the course content.
  • When using discussion boards and live meetings, ask students to identify themselves whenever they speak by microphone.

Closed caption is a graet option for the hearing impared.   I didn't know that there was free software that could do this.

I learned that captioning videos, recorded lectures and PowerPoints is essential.  I also learned about specific closed captioning software that is free and readily available.  Beyond this, I do believe it is imperative that the institution take the lead in course design for accessibility so that there is consistency across courses and programs.  

When it comes to course design it should be left to a specific individual who is tasked with updating content and compliance with all regulatory bodies. Instructors should have meaningful input and can assist the curriculum developer/chair with meaningful changes and updates. Too many hands in the curriculum can lead to miscommunication leading to errors. A submission or review of content should be more formal so all ideas are heard and there are recorded reasons why items were not updated. This person should also work closely with the compliance/legal team to ensure all policies and procedures are followed and adhered to.

I enjoyed going through this module and learning detail information that I was not aware of.

Again I can say this was great information for me as an educator.

We need to realize that new situations will occur and we must be prepared to make changes as need be. Feedback from students is paramount to assuring everyone has access to the learning material.

Learning about the different captioning software available to me is helpful. 

Availability of ALT & Magpie . 
Didn't realize that there are so many resources available to disabled students "to level the playing field" ....."learning field". Guidelines especially helpful 

​Universal design not only helps those with disabilities, it is mutually beneficial to all users if it makes things easier. Also, a ton of useful guidance when it comes to the creation of our documents. 

There are many ways to address students disabilities, but having instructors do the work does not feel comfortable with me. Unless my superiors can check and make any necessary changes.  

Assistive technology will help many individuals communicate their necessities and convey ideas and their understanding of knowledge.  While creating different courses instructors are encouraged to take into consideration the different learning styles of their students and strategically create coursework that can address everyone’s needs.

I am impressed that ALT text is available wthin PDF, though not completely surprised. I have made much use of PDFs for most of my printing career, but have focused on press-output fuctions. I look forward to trying out the new (to me) feature.

Seriuously, PDFs never cease to amaze.

This topic has taught me that students with disabilities should be respected. Educators should understand and cooperate with all agencies that are responsible for providing resources that can aid the disabled students. Such cooperation can boost the overall performance of such learners.

Sign In to comment