Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The details into what does and does not work in designing a course with students of disabilities attending was very helpful

Online instructor should strive to make document that we know its always available. I think beside using Microsoft Word,Excel/PowerPoint Documents/PDF we can able to use web links, create check lists all this software tools allow user to add an ALT text tage or visual elements.

Computer assesibility in an online learining environment will be so helpful in learning their subject matter for all students regardless of disability type or severity of impairment.

There are a lot of possible ways to make your courses accesssable. I, for one, did not know about the ALT Text option in Word. When laying out new presentations, thinking about the content being accessable to a student using a screen reader could actually help with document layout and keeping things clean. I'm sure we've all seen a document or Powerpoint that has been all over the place which would make it impossible for a screen reader app to translate. Good information.

So0 many different tools available for ease of accessibility for the disabled student

I learned about Magpie for close captioning. Great tool and free to boot.

Gloria I found this entire sectiopn to be very interesting. None of the items mentioned in this section were never addressed or mentioned. Unless a student makes it evident to addmissions that they have a disability we as instructors never really know. I feel it itis very important to consider that all students may have some type of disability and always take that into consideration when planning our delivery methods.

I have learned that all documents are not created alike and that I must work on making all my course materials accessible for all of my students with disabilities or not. The helpful tips are a good start and will implement them.

That it is important to keep in mind the needs of a varity of different levels of students and offer the best possiable course layout so that it can be used and understood by this virity as a group.

I appreciated the quick checklist to help ensure content for accessibility

Lots of great information with Universal Design. With having to do this myself for every module for every 16-week course was very time consuming, resources were limited so challenging, yet obtainable. I have incorporated all of the tps offerened in one format or another; very informative and validating to my overall course structure and design, thank you.

I learned that you need to be proactive when designing your course for accessibility.  I learned about the many steps and useful tools to help make a course accessible to all types of learners.

Add closed captions and transcripts to audio and videos.  There are software available to help support Instructors with close captioning called Media Access Generator (MAGpie) or Annotation edit.

Online learning will take alot of effort to comply with legal requirements. Admistration will not be proactively assisting except to require instructors to become trained and develope their courses for successful online implementation. Going forward for face 2 face classes, there must be some understanding that online course development will need trial and error adjustments before legal ramificatiuons are induced.

I will make sure to do everything in my power to make sure the student is comfortable and be open to any needs they may have to make learning more efficient for them

Making power points, microsoft word, and pdf accessible and using fonts and bold. Having Universal Design in mind is important. 

Respectfuly,

Kendrick Kim

kkim1@fullcoll.edu

It is truly amazing to find so much help and different new avenues to use during our course preparation.  I did get a lot of new ideas in preparing the syllabus and class course.

I appreciated the lists of items to help accessibility in the last section. Lots of great tips!

It is important to include accessibility in your course when you are creating it rather than trying to retrofit your course.

Keep it simple, clean and consistent is the impression I got from all of this. There are many tools available, with more to come. Try to put yourself in the shoes of a student who has a disability.

Sign In to comment