Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

To ensure that the student has a successful learning environment, you have to know the 7 principles.

It is imparative to help students recognize what their goals are and how the course fits within the scope of their goals. Once there is that realization the instuctor needs to help students manage their time appropriately by encouraging students to use a calendar, give reminders of upcoming due dates and give an approximation of how long an assignment may take. Procrastination can lead to students to give low quality work or to stress themselves out. 

Planning and goal setting are essential for the students success not only in class, but in life.  As the student sets goals that are SMART, he will be able to link those goals in class to other life goals.  Tone and Attitude are important for the building of a community in the online class and student time management will allow for strong self confidence and course success.  The 7 principles for learner and instructor mirror each other for both to find success.

The position that I am currently at teaches the 7 Habits of happy kids.  The first goal is to be proactive and take care of your needs by planning and goal setting.  I made a deep connection to this section because of my experience with Steven Covey.  Planning is so important and one of the first steps to accomplish your road map that I learned about in earlier lessons.

Students need to set goals for career & education . Career goals can be reality or dream goals.  Netiquet is the acceptalbe way of communication on the internet.  Procrastination can be a pitfall and student work will suffer

Upon my entry into the world of teaching from an on-line platform, I will provide my students with several successful tips. Several being to avoid procrastination, participate actively, balance schoolwork with other obligations, communcate regularly, provide respect communication, monitor goal setting, and introduce them to the guidelines setforth by Chickering and Ehrmann.

Students and instructors both need to adhere to Netiquette guidelines. There needs to be respect among all parties involved in the course so there are no disruptions in learning. 

I leraned that understanding the seven priciples of learning will help in being successful in online teaching.

Overall,an understanding of the methods of communication,the importance of communication and facilitating the communication are concepts I need to focus on more. 

I have learned that students should set goals and work on time management skills.

RESPECT is essential for student buy-in and effective discussion boards etc.

In an online environment, Netiquette is crucial. I can imagine that a lot of conversations on discussion boards, etc, could devolve into unproductive nightmares if people aren't following the R.E.S.P.E.C.T. guidelines. As stated, things like sarcasm, joking tones and the like can't be properly conveyed all the time online.

I have already copied and pasted the items from "Principles of Learning." These will be terrific tools for setting expectations at the beginning of a course.

The keys to learning are setting goals, having respect for one another, and the seven principles of learning.

I like Ben Franklin's quote "Failure to plan is a plan for failure". Very true.

The table of "Principles for the Instructor Teaching for Success" and " Expectation for the Students Being Responsible for Success" was an excellent visual to understand the best practices. 

encouraging students is essential, communication and motivating should be part of daily routine, making sure student is managing their time efficently to complete tasks

Netiquette must be taught.

The 7 Principles is a very effective tool for both the student and the instructor. It set very high standards for both the learner and the educator. 

The seeven principals of learning can be applied to life skills as well as the online environment.  Once theses skills are understood they can be utilized to any situation.

Sign In to comment