Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Certainly, there is a lot to consider when setting up and administering an online course, class or CoP. Part of that administrative role is to ensure your students are setting and maintaining reasonable goals and objectives that will help them finish the course or class successfully and on time, while allowing for other important activities such as interaction and participation. Time managment plays a critical part in helping to accurately estimate, plan and complete such goals and objectives on a timely, accurate and succssful basis.  Ensuring students understand (and practice) important concepts and practices, which include netiquettte and proper online behavior in order to have a safe and productive online environment where students can express themselves and participate productively is another key administrative task for the online teacher / course administrator. 

SETH SORONNADI

I PLANNED TO REVIEW "The seven principles for learning as noted by Chickering and Ehrmann" 

With the seven principles of learning covering how to encourage contact between student and facult to how to create repect divers talents and ways of learning, one can see just how essential these are.

The fact that principles for teachers as well as their mirror principles for students are given was a great way to compare the two. It helps to see both sides and how we can integrate these for ourselves while giving guidance for our students.

There are 7 principals for learning that are important for online learning. When teachers follow these their students benefit. 

Emphasize time on task

This unit made me think about the importance of establishing classrom "norms" (rather than rules) in an online teaching environment. In an in-person classroom, I've often sat down with my students at the start of the year and we came up with a list of "norms" within our learning environment. This would be more difficult to do online, but I think that it's still possible!

Students need to be creating, planning, and setting goals. Netiquette is communication on the internet. 

I think having an open conversation and being able to set clear expectations is crucial for students taking online classes.   Also clearly outlining what your role will be in the class is important too.   

It is important to gain skills in time management in order to avoid the pitfalls associated with on line learning.

While the ability to work at ones own pace is a good thing it can easily turn out to be a bad thing if the learner tends procrastinate.

I like the idea of using the 7 principles of learning from both the instructors perspective, but also having the student use it from their perspective.  I intend to use this to structure my eLessons, and turn it into a survey or self-assessment for students.

I also like the idea of helping students establish a time management calendar.  I use this in my personal life to block out my day, and I think it's a great way to help students stay organized.  

Procrastination will cause the stu dents to lose desire to learn. If insturctor use the guideline for teaching I know for sure students will learn. So guidelines are important for students and instructors. 

7 principles of learning is important 

The seven principles of learning provide a beneficial track to run on, allowing us to focus on the task at hand.  It's not only wisdom for the instructor but also for the students.

Th seven principles of learning are an excellent guide to creating online learning experiences that are optimim. Applying them tro both the instructor and studnets makes sense and reveals the beneficial reciprocity inherent in this system.

The seven goals to learning was very beneficial to me. I cannot believe I was just introduced to them with all the training and conferences I have attended.

The seven principles of learning should be implemented in all online courses as a measure of best practices.

With the busy lives of adult students, the course has to be recognized as meaningful and applicable.  Students may need assistance in realistically determining if the course can work with their schedule, how to make that happen, and whether they want to make it the priority it needs to be for their success.  Students need to be advised of common pitfalls (such as underestimating the time commitment, over committing to too many responsibilities, overestimating their skills, and procrastinating) to be avoided prior to making their decision to enroll in an online course.

Once a student makes the decision to enroll in an online  course, general guidelines and course expectations should be provided from the time of enrollment, and students should be familiarized with  Arthur Chickering and Stephen Ehrmanns "7 Principles of Learning" and how they apply to both instructor and students.

To be a highly effective instructor I must help students connect their learning to their personal life goals, teach and show Netiquette, and help students understand the pitfalls to avoid. I must employ the 7 principle of learning, and the students need to understand guideline that aid in their learning success. 

Active participation is important and knowing the 7 principles

Sign In to comment