Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The most important thing I learned was the seven principles of learning.

There are a lot of pitfalls students might find, such as procrastinating, asuming the course will be easy, or underestimating the time needed to complete a course. By communicating with students, the teacher can help them to avoid these pitfalls.

There is alot of good teaching information in this module. While I studied the conten, I kept reflecting that much of the information is just as relavent to a F2F classroom and it is in a online class.

The topics for the module are:

1) Planning and goal setting - good information for any learning environment

2) Netiquette: Tone and Attitude - This one is directed for an online class, yet the message of communicate with RESPECT can be applied to all forms of communication

3) Time management - good information for any learning environment

4) Pitfalls Students Should Avoid - good information for any learning environment

5) Princoples of Learning - good information for any learning environment

I clearly understand the principles of teaching and learning and where I went wrong.

Finding ways to help learners avoid the pitfalls is crucial.  Students who fall into this trap will begin to feel defeated or unsuccessful the risks student making the choice to fail a course.

Students must be committed to adhere to deadlines and work diligently in online courses. Online learning provides some degree of freedom for students to arrange courses around other aspects of their life, but it is important that they understand that procrastination and/or a lack of time management will not enhance this freedom.

Applying the 7 principles of learning partnered with clear and professional communication with each student is essential for a successful outcome. 

The seven priniciples are an rxcellent tool for instructor and student.  Expectations of instructor and student are to be expleined in the beggining and student reinforced. Ty 

Instructors that have a correlation between course goal and life goals tend to achieve a high student buy in rate.  The seven principles of learning are as important as Piaget's four stages of cognitive development as well as a thorough understanding of the 4 levels on the Depth of Knowledge chart and the demands instructors place on a student that is required for success in the course.

Excellent summation of the Seven Principles of Learning, very applicable here!

Online classes are not easier classes.  Students have to plan extra time for reading and writing, typically 2 to 3 hours per 1 hour of online time.  Students need to adhere to professional  respectful guidelines during online course work.  Teachers need  to outline in the syllabus the expectations for time management and professional discussions.

I've learned here how important it is to establish the goals of the course and how to translate this information to students.  One such way will be to create sub-groups within the class that will help to facilitate Q&A where it pertains to online learning principals.

The seven principles for teachers and students is a useful tool for writing out the expectations for courses.

The seven principles of learning apply to both instructors and students.  For instructors they can serve as a guidlines to improve teaching and learning.  For students, they provide guidelines for students understanding what they need to do to be successful.  Participating in an online class require students practice they same rules of etiquette they would observe if they were in a face-to-face class.  

I am a high school teacher taking this course while going through the virus.  Many of my students have said that one thing they have learned is time management skills.  Procrastination put many students behind in posting assignments in the beginning, and now they have become better time managers.  Many are posting assignments the same day they are assigned.

Reiterate to students the importance of time management to students and provide them with skills and tools to aid in time management.  Seeing as time management is left up to the studen ts I believe when teaching online, you would be well served to break your assignments up into several small assignments due at different periods throughout the course instead of only a few or even one large assignment.  I believe this will keep those who are prone to procrastination to not find themselves in too deep when the time comes to hand in final assignment as they've been forced to hand in parts of it as the course progressed.

I like the play on words with RESPECT. I like fundamentels clearly laid out.

Setting goals with students that are realistic. Use the 7 principles in your online class. This will help with communication in the online classroom. Think about what is taught vs how it is taught. 

Netiquette rules should be adhered too by all student learners in the class. 

As in all aspects of life, goals and plans get us where we want to go most efficiently.  Students need to learn this for the class and to be successful participants in life.

Sign In to comment