Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Although many years have pasted since these principles have come from forth they are still relevant today. Once expectations are set in place along with these effective principles, and ultimate support our students will be successful. I always tell my students "You start my class with an "A" if you put forth all your effort with my expectation for you, you'll keep that grade". Then I follow up with having them write a smart goal and action plan to create their steps to keep being successful.

This module is so important for students and adults. Being organized and understanding your struggles are the first steps to correcting behaviors or preparing in advance them. Traditional work habits are not necessary to have success as long as non-traditional work habits don't get in the way of preparation and learning.

Time management and setting goals are critical to the learning environment. Student and instructors should set goals and abide by the acronym RESPECT.

Seven principles of good practice were developed as a guideline for instructors to have there own classroom. Improve teaching and learning how it also helps he student understand what they need to do to be successful.

I preach planning and goal setting to my own children because it took me years, as a young person, to realize how important those skills are towards becoming a successful adult.

Learning must be connected to real life.  Otherwise it appears to be just busy work.  Goals must be set to give oneself something to strive for.  Appropriate communication and good time management is essential to online success.  There are pitfalls that students must be aware of and avoid or they will hinder or sabotage the online learning experience.

It will be helpful if I apply the 7 Principles of Learning to my instruction and also share these principles with the students so that they can do their part to achieve their educational, career, and life goals.

It's important for students to understand pitfalls they should avoid. These pitfalls limit students' success and encourage procrastination.

Many instructors regard the seven principles for learning developed by Arthur Chickering and Stephen Ehrmann in 1996 as basic guidelines for teaching. 

I learned that teaching to reflect on their own goals and revisiting them is essential to helping students keep focused and not fall into pitfalls of procrastination or feeling overwhelmed. The seven principles of good practice are helpful. I hope to share them with my students. It will set a good tone for our class.

In the Preparing Students to Become Good Online Learners course, module four, Successful Online Learning Techniques, I learned how critical planning and goal setting can be. People must identify their goals and know the steps needed to achieve his/her goals. Also, an instructor needs to communicate how the course relates to a student’s goals. The more buy in from the student, the more the student will be an active member of the course and become a person who enjoys participating in the learning community. Time management is another important aspect when someone is taking an online course. Instructors need to help students develop skills needed to ensure the success of the student and time management is an important skill that needs instructor guidance. A key component of time management is working ahead as much as possible. If something unexpected comes a long then the student doesn’t become over whelmed trying to catch up. Lastly, providing known pitfalls for students taking a course will hopefully direct students in the best manner to approach an online course

Time management is critical to successful learning in the online environment.  I learned that the teacher should give time estimates for assignments.  Procrastination is a pitfall for everyone.  Encourage students to work ahead.  I enjoyed learning about the 7 principles for learning.

An instructor of an online course should help students develop realistic goals that will help the student pursue and succeed in achieving his or her educational goals. An instructor can help students by explaining the role of the instructor and expectations of students that follow the 7 Principles of Learning.

For student success there must be personal goal setting and planning.

I learned that is is imperitive to have proactive teaching skills and that there are resources available to keep those skills up to date with technology.

This module really made me think about my role as an educator. It is not always just about the content. Its about knowing your students and their needs, and helping them avoid pitfalls so that they can find success.

Developing  a connection between the course and the students' goals is essential for "student buy-in", as is developing engaging instructional strategies that lead to enthusiastic partiiicipation.  Learning is not a spectator sport.  Howver, most students have to be taught how to be effective, successful online learners. As with so much else. the instructor's syllabus is a good place to address this, or a Help section of the LMS.

Having a plan and goal set for both the instructor and students. The 7 principlesare great for success in meeting your goals and outcomes.

During this portion of the class, I value the checklists.  As an educator, I inherently know these things but to have it in a chart format makes it clear and concise  I plan to make a few posters to encourage these skills in my classroom next year.

We teach our students to plan and organize their work and their assignments by utilizing planners and classroom organizational tools, like daily schedules and student calendars, but online we need to re-teach and deepen their level of understanding just how important organizing, time management and setting goals will be to their success in online learning. We have to correct any thinking that online courses are easier at the beginning of the course before they begin the coursework. I find the 7 principles for learning adapted to the student's point of view a great resource and something I will definitely incorporate with my students. Creating a successful online learning environment depends largely on giving students the right information they need along with the right encouragement.

Sign In to comment