Successful Online Learning Techniques | Origin: EL108
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
Preparing Students to Become Good Online Learners --> Successful Online Learning Techniques
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
I would encourage students to make a calendar of their to do list to help them avoid the pitfall of procrastination. I would create an environment of teamwork and provide frequent feedback to help students feel consistently involved.
I learned that students can either benefit from an asynchronous class or struggle with it. Learning at your own pace has both advantages and disadvantages.
I appreciated the reminder that giving students appropriate expectations for time needed to spend on the class is helpful for them and helps set them up for success.
I learned that successful learning depends on strong organization, active participation and effective time managment. To support student success, I plan to provide clear guidance, consistent communication and ongoing encouragment to help students stay engaged and on track toward their goals.
I learned about the importance of checking in on students, communicating with them frequently and having them reflect on their time management.
I learned that successful online learning requires organization, participation, and good time management. I plan to help students stay on track by providing clear instructions and consistent support.
Online learning presents a lot of challenges for a student. It appears as if it's easier, more accessible, and a relief compared to being in the classroom. But the fact is, there is a lot of responsibility online and time management is critical. There is not an unlimited amount of time. Some places even announce "at your own pace" just to get students in the door. This really isn't true as expectations are high, timed, and mostly unmovable. Students need to know what they are getting into and what they're responsibilities are.
I learned the importance of helping students with time management, reviewing their assignments, estimating how long each assignment will take and setting up their calendar to complete all work on time....the benefit of not procrastinating.
Set expectations and hold student accountable. Provide an engaging environment where students and the instructor will thrive.
Using the seven principles we are able to provide an engaging, supportive online learning environment where both instructors and students share success.
One of the most important ideas I learned from this module is that successful online learning is a shared responsibility between the instructor and the student. While instructors should provide clear expectations, timely feedback, and regular communication, students must also stay engaged, manage their time wisely, ask questions when they need help, and participate actively in the course. I plan to continue emphasizing these expectations in my online classes by providing clear instructions, regular reminders, and encouraging students to work consistently throughout the term rather than waiting until the last minute.
Hello -
Sometimes students have different learning styles and that is okay. It is hard to accommodate everyone in a larger classroom, but if audio/video is helpful rather than white board or going beyond a standard PowerPoint, that should be explored.
Set clear expectations for the students and hold them accountable.
The 7 principles for good practice is great! it creates a learning environment that promotes student success, engagement, and achievement
What is taught is just as important as how it is taught. As an online instructor, it is good to give students tips about time management.
Checking in with my online students, especially if I notice they are not participating. I will make sure they understand the content and how to navigate through the online course work!
Professors need to hold students to high expectations. The students should hold themsleves to high expectations. I see too often examples of students, teachers, and schools lowering the expectations of the students. Also the importance of giving the students a good idea of how much time should typically be spent completing each major assignment, so that we can help the students to better manage their time on task.
Understanding that adult education can be hard to acclimate to. So teaching methods and skills they can use to study as well as time management can help students succeed. Not only can it be years from when they last were in school but adult education, students have more to focus on with work, family, home etc. It can be an adjustment to make the time and learn how to study.
Online learners benefit when instructors clearly set expectations and use teaching practices that support success across all subjects. Key habits include encouraging student-instructor contact, building collaboration, promoting active learning, giving prompt feedback, stressing time on task, communicating high expectations, and respecting diverse learning styles. These principles matter because how a course is taught often influences learning as much as the content itself.