Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Just as in a regular classroom, a variety of tools should be used to deliver both synchronous and asynchronous instruction to students. A variety of methods ensures that multiple learning styles are addressed, and therefore boosts student engagement just as in a face to face classroom. 

using social media to our advantage as educators. 

Importance of knowing students technology skills and providing tools and tips to ensure they know how to function for the basic tasks required.

Instructors should not assum the students have all the techinology skills needed for the online course. The  needed information  should be available from the start on the course and through out if needed as a reference

Allowing students different platforms to share information and also providinig different ways to learn is really important. 

I learned about how it is important to be proactive with "how to" videos and guides at the beginning of the course to help students alleviate anxiety and reference when they get stuck.

Understanding the various types of technologies that are availble for online learning. Being able to utilize some of them are essential for all parties involved. Understanding which tools work best with asynchronous and synchronous learning. 

There are a variety of tools available to enhance communication in the online environment.  You must consider what you wish to achieve when selecting a tool for communication. 

As a CNT instructor most of my students have a good basic knowledge of computers.

Technical skills may also be limited by the devices provided. I have had students who cannot do assignments because of them using the iPad instead of a desktop or laptop. In fact, I have parts of an entire class that CANNOT be completed on the iPad. These instances have been brought up multiple times and still the devices are being given. Some may say to tell the students to use their own PCs, but I have had students who do not have them and are then stuck. They have to hunt and find a PC or schedule time away from other labs to do the work on the school PCs. 

Synchronous and Asynchronous communication is used online and face to face. Asynchronous allows the student to access the material on their time schedule but too much of that doesn't really allow the instructor to build a relationship with the student. Using Social Networking should be kept to a minimum unless using specific sites.

Various types of online resources can help create a more dynamic interface for students. Using social media platforms with which they're likely already familiar with may help integrate learning as they cross different platforms to discuss ideas.

An overarching theme in this section on technology is that instructors should never assume their students have all the required technology skills.  Therefore, when I choose to use technology tools, I will assess the students' ability to utilize it first.  

There are a lot of little technocal skills like copy and paste that we assume the students know that they struggke with at times. These things need to be addressed in order for the students to have success.

It's important we don't just assume a student level of technology competences. Asynchronous allows student to log in when needed and complete their needed tasks 

The techinical skills (synchronous communication, asynchronous communication, use of technology, online learning space, social communication) needed to do well in an online course are described in this module.

Developing an environment in which students can work collaboratively impacts relationship building as various technologies enhance the experience. 

Just repeating more of the same, with different ways to reach out to students, blogs, etc.

Make sure students can use the technology needed for the class. Check for students understanding on the type of technology skills that will be needed. 

Having a variety of technical tools in your toolbox for instructing is critical.

Sign In to comment