Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is important as an online instructor to have an understanding of student’s technical skills. It is a good idea to have students complete a survey so the instructor knows the technology skills of the student. It is helpful for the instructor to create short “How to” videos that will help students that need to learn certain skills. It is also important for the instructor to use different mediums of technology so that students can focus on learning content and not technology tools.

As I read this section, GOOGLE SUITES kept screaming in my brain.  Interactive documents, spread sheets, presentations and  drawings.  Google classroom as a LMS.  Not to mention google meet for synchronous learning.   All working seamlessly together.... maybe this should be added to this section instead of only a nod to Google Docs? 

Asynchronous communication includes email, Discussion Boards, Wiki, and Blogs.

Synchronous communication includes application sharing, web conferencing, chats, conferencing, instant messages, and whit boarding.

Providing mulitple communication tools supports online learning for both the student and the instructor.  I will be sure to include all tools within the syllabus

The need to ask students what is helping them learn in an online nevironment and what is hindering their learning.  Also the many social medias can be implemented to enrich the class experience and lead to building a community.

It is important to know the technology skills of your students before starting your course, and then choosing technology that will help enhance learniing and the material. 

Using social networking sites for learning help students share information and knowledge. 

Knowing the difference between  synchronous and asynchronous learning and what works best for your students.

Having students go through the lessons of typical activities on a computer such as copy, cut and paste in a document, saving a document as a pdf, using spell check and/or the thesaurus, attaching a file to an email and more is necessary.  I learned not to assume they all know how to do these tasks.

I learned to focus in on the tech tools availble to enhance both asynchronous and synchronous learning. I want to choose tools that will support my student's expected outcome/goal for the course content. Students will likely develop their skills working collaboratively if I provide the communication support consistently and appropriately. 

I'm learning about all the different tools that are available to help with the online teaching process. Even some of the apps are helping with teaching outside of the classroom in a real time setting.

As an online instructor there are many tools that can be used for synchronous and asynchronous comminucation. Based off the course the instructor needs to decide what is going to be best to deliver the content, with the thought in mind of students' abilities. Not all tools need to be used, and these digital platforms should not be overwhelming but support and engage learners.

We may think our students know how to use technology tools and have technology skills, but many do not know beyond texting and scrolling!  Making sure students can do the simple tasks of saving and copy/paste is so essential.  When you use the word Social - it brings to mind every face to their screen scrolling the feed - but not when you add Networking to that term - creating a network working to achieve a goal.  

using social neworking sites can engage students and can be helpful

I gained the understanding that it is very important to be opened minded and make sure that the students are comfortable with different kinds of technology tools.  When I have that understanding I can assist my students with the use of such technology that will enhance their learning experience.

Not overloading the LMS with flashy content is a good idea. I like the way this goes. 

As a future on-line instructor, I have learned that there is a lot of technology to learn, review, and experiment with before actually beginning to teach. This opportunity to learn and apply hands-on experience will enable me to better assist my future learners; and, also to provide them with the best technology selection(s) for communication choices. 

Creating a student oriented learning environment helps the students to feel like they are a part of the entire course rather than just a body. 

The importance of technology and the understanding of the students ability to use it. I have also learned how social networking is used to engage students.

Utlizing a variety of methods of communication is most effective, helps to ensure community etc.

The tips about assessing a student's technical knowledge prior to starting online learning will be invaluable.

Sign In to comment