Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Many of the tools discussed in this section would be very beneficial to students and help build a sense of community in an online learning environment. Wikis, blogs, discussion boards, forums, messaging and social networking/media would all build a more approachable feel to an online program. That being said, you would need to do some baseline assessing when it comes to your students to find out their comfort level when it comes to all of these various tools and develop methods to ensure students are comfortable and up to par with the technology so that is enhancing their course experience and not detrimental to their learning.

As an instructor, you should use a variety of communication tools in an online course. Social networking is important for success in the online course.

There are many ways an instructor can help students stay interested and grow in an Asynchroonous and Synchonous environment.

It's crucial to be sure all students have the ability to access the technology required for online success and understanding the resources and capabilities available for online student learning and choosing the best ones.

There are many different tools that are available to online students  compared to a regular classroom setting. One of the tools I like to use for my students are the virtual field trips that are available. I have found that they make great discussion questions for the students. THe ones I use are those that pertain to the topic matter we are studdying.

Utilizing the right tools will help for student understanding, to be able to navigate and utilize all the tools necessary to help them comprehend the subject at hand.

Asynchronous and Synchronous tools must be used to help all students. 

Even if a student thinks that he/she has good technology skills you still have to make sure that those skills would mach or surpass the skills to be sucessful it an online coures.

Informing the students of what technical skills are needed for the online course will help the student identify their weaknesses.  Once indentified the student can learn a new skill which will help them learn online.

The use of both synchronous and asynchronous tools will enhance online learning. 

Even though we live in a tech world, not all students are on the same level.

Online learning will be easier for some than others depending on the amount of prior computer/network exposure a student has.  There are many websites to assist the online learner, but they require the student to incorporate their use.

It is important to ensure that students are aware of the technology-related requirements to optimise their enrollment in the course; not just from the perspective of receiving learning, but also in terms of constructing learning.

Using a variety of tools is important to engage the students using different platforms.

The teacher must find out how much technical experience/skills their students have so when the students are asked to use a certain tool there will be success and then the students can focus on learning.

Mary Downs

As the online instructor itis important to make students aware of what Technology Skills they must have for the course.  I would create a list of questions for students before beginning the course.   The online instructor can use social networking or Discussion Boards etc.  to POST "How to guides, helpful hints and provide time for students with deficiencies to get help with their deficiencies.  Communication with the students early about their Technology Skills will eliminate frustration at a later date.

Students should gain an understanding of professional and appropriate communication especially in the online discussion boards.  This is a great way to prepare them for their professional careers. 

When deciding on technology to be used, make sure it meets your needs and make sure the student’s have the technology and the skills to use it.

As an instructor, I  should be able to use a variety of communication tools in an online course. Social networking is important for success in the online course and it's much easier to have all the necessary tools for our students to open the lines of communication too. 

There are many technology tools that an online course can incorporate into both synchronous and asynchronous classes.  Incorporating a variety (email use, wikis, blogs, discussion boards, and video conferencing ) can keep the students engaged in the class

Sign In to comment