Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using technology to communicate through emails, texting, and phone calls are used often with my F2F and now with my distance learning. My students are fond of WhatsApp.  These methods of communication keep students informed, connected, and interacting with each other. I find they often share assignments with each other, and send screen shots to absent students. 

There are lots of different ways to communicate online.   Come up with a plan that evaluates exactly what and how you and your students will communicate

I think that it is important to consider the platform in which you communicating. It needs to be the right tool for the communication that you have in mind. While social media may be a great way to communicate with your students, I have to consider what my students have available. Our school is fortunate to have every student a chromebook. Unfortunely, our district blocks social media platforms from it. It may be a great way to communicate one on one, or to make an announcement, but not for learning, for my district. 

Effective Technology is important for both Formative and Summative assignments.  Teachers should check this at least every 4-5 weeks so that would be no barriers in students learning environment.

From my experience, text messages has become the most effective form of communication with my students. 

I learned that communicating via email within the 24 hours, but also it is okay to turn off the email notification so that you are not always required to respond back to emails to not feel constantly required to reply back. Set a time for checking email and stick to it so it doesn't take over the rest of your time. 

I learned that communicating via email within 24 hours, set a time for checking email (office hours), and stick to it so it doesn't take over the rest of your time, this helps the students also know when the best time is to reach you. Make sure to research the best technology tools to use for you as the instructor but also for the students. 

As an instructor you should analyze various technology tools to see which tool will best fit your plan of communication with your students and fit their needs to communicate with the instructor. Formative and summative assessments should be done to gather dataa on the tools if the particular tool or tools is working as intended for the best fit for learning.

I learned that various forms of communicating with students needs to be considered for many reasons.  You need to decide which communication tool will accomplish the goal of sharing information effectively and clearly.  Note that you do not have to use the all of the tools the mode of communication has to ffer but you do need to regularly evaluate whether or not that tool is working for everyone involved.

I learned the three categories:

• small group or one-to-one meeting software
  • large group meeting software
  • social networking sites  

The tools to accommodate each group:

Small Group: Email, FaceTime, Text messaging, Teleconferencing, Telephone, and Voice over Inernet Protocol (VoIP)

Large Group: Adobe Web conferencing, Blackboard colloborate, Google Hangouts, Skype, and Zoom                     

Social Network Sites: FaceBook, Flickr, Instagram, LinkedIn, TikTok, and Twitter

Match the technology communication tool to its appropriate function-- to ensure the message can be conveyed effectively between (I2S), (S2I), (S2S)-- and look for technology communication feedback: formative /summative.

Using a variety of communicatiions tools when communicating with students is beneficial. 

I have learned that there are different ways to communicate with students. I as the instructor need to find what tool will work best for my class. I need to make sure communicating is key. Also, if I choose a particular technology I do not have to uses every tool associated with the technology. I can use what I need or works best for my class. 

I have learned that the use of technology is more essential than it has been in the past. It's very important to teach our students which options are best as it relates to certain situations. 

I have learned that there are several ways to communicate with students using multiple telecommunications methods. It is very important to understand each method to find the one that works best for you and your students. I work technical college and many of our student population face tremendous psychosocial and economic challenges. As an instructor I must use affordable telecommunication methods.

In whatever communication tool is used the appropiate student teacher relationship should be followed.

It is important to assess if the technology tools beign utilizied within the courses are effective or not.  And if not, to find others that are effective.  

Students do best when different forms of communication is available.  As educators we need to review and find the best form that is needed for our audience

It is important that the instructor and the students are on the "same page" with regard to communication tools. No one should be searching for where the information is located. if 1 person can not find /or did not see a message then reevaluate your communication.

There are many online resources provided to teachers and we are encouraged to use all of them. I need to spend more time determining which resources would benefit my students the most and not just using them simply because they are provided to me.

Becareful what you chose, use only the necessary functions for the course, use on going assessment and feedback so that you know if there are any communication problems.

Sign In to comment