Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology Tools for Effective Communication | Origin: EL105

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Online Language: Communicating with Students -->  Technology Tools for Effective Communication

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

There are many tools that one can use for communication. I have not explored the social media idea yet, but that is something that I thought about after reviewing this material

Knowing different means of communication and the best ways to use them are key with online courses. Before I ever took an online course, I thought any communication not through a phone call was too passive. However, after taking classes I realized communicating through messenger or remail can provide very thoughtful responses. I plan on using a variety of forms of communication during courses.

I write HTML-based tests that provide students with an engaging, convenient way to review course material. Immediate feedback helps learners identify mistakes, understand correct answers, and strengthen weak areas. Interactive questions encourage active participation and repeated practice. Students can review independently at their own pace, build confidence, and improve their preparation for graded exams.

I have learned there are many tools available to help with communication.

There are many tool available for instructor /student interactions. Being versed in them all including pros and cons is key.

What I have learned is that there are many tools to communicate with students, and it is important to find the correct tool that will benefit the class

This module discusses the different types of technology that can be used in online classes. It can be as simple as using a regular telephone to have a 1-1 conversation with a student to discuss personal issues that are affecting the student's progress, email to reach 1 or all students in the class to send out important announcements to the whole class, social media sites (like Facebook), where students and gather for discussions etc, or meeting sites (such as TEAMS or Zoom) to have a virtual classroom feel. When choosing a technology tool to use for your class, it is important to investigate the function and appropriateness for your class. It is also necessary to set rules/guide lines and provide instructions from the beginning. At the end of the course it can be helpful to have the students fill out surveys to rate the different types of technology used in the class and their opinion as to effectiveness. 

There are plenty of tools at our disposal for effective teaching online. Some are designed for one purpose, but we may find them useful for another. I will investigate what works best by obtaining formative and summative feedback. I will use the right tool for the right job.

I learned text abbreviations and what would be the best way to communicate with the students. Student to teacher, student to student, and teacher to student. I am familiar with the social media platforms.

In an ever evolving landscope of technology, the methods and tools we use to communicate with students can change. The effective educator will adapt to the needs of their students along the way.

This connection through software is important. Some of my students struggle with connectivity to teams. Zoom seemed to be less breakable so I miss using it. Perhaps something better than teams will come along.

In this module, I learned the importance of using technology tools to communicate effectively with students in an online environment.  I plan to apply what I learned by continuing to use Canvas announcements, Zoom meetings, and Remind messages to keep students informed and engaged.  Effective communication helps create a more supportive learning experience and promotes student success.

Technology is a great thing these days, but you really need to ensure you are using the right one for the purpose of your class and students 

Use appropriate communication tools to stay connected with students while creating a more personal and organized online learning experience. Leverage platforms like Teams and Zoom to maintain clear communication, conduct brief check-ins, and ensure students feel supported and know how to reach me when they need assistance.

This showed how important it is to choose the right type of communication and technology based on the situation. Each method has its pros and cons, so using good judgment helps ensure messages are clear and effective. It also highlighted that technology should support learning, not overwhelm it. Using the right tools in a thoughtful way can improve engagement, communication, and overall student success.

tech tools help with making online better.

Most of my students are not familiar with tech tools. This module helped me learn new tools I can introduce to students.

I intend on exploring more tech tools to provide collaboration and communication experiences in my course. I want them to be approachable for students still learning tech.

Use the right communication tools to stay connected with students and make online learning feel more personal and organized. By using Teams and Zoom to keep communication clear, hold quick check-ins, and make sure students always know they can reach me when they need help.

Sign In to comment