Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I'v learned that may technology tools are available to provide communications in online learning settings. These technologies should be carefully chosen based on the characteristics and pros and cons of each. Some provide asynchronous communication, such as email andn Facebook or Instagram groups and posts. Other technologies, such as Skype annd Blackboard Collaborate provide synchronous settings for group disussions. Designers must also consider the size of the group that will be communicating and choose the best forum with the best tools for that collaboration. Formative and summative evaluations must address how affective and appealing each of these technology tools each of these tools have been in a particular course.

I have been using Remind, Email, Google Voice, Text, Zoom, and by phone. Has worked for me to keep in contact with my students one way or another. Nowadays it's easier to communicate with them. 

I have been using Zoom, Remind, Texting, School and Private Email to communicate with my students and give them different ways of reaching me should they have any questions or problems with their assignments. They know they can reach me 24/7 and I answer them back. Communication between a student and instructor is very important. 

For effective communication to take place you will need to choose the appropriate tool for that type of communication.

We all have access to tons of communiction tools via software & apps, but learning how to put them all together to run a lesson in an on-line course is where it becomes important.  Having the students (and the teacher) provide feedback will be key for making sure the use of technology-based tools aren't too confusing or complicated used during the lesson.  

Each technology tool should be evaluated for emall/large group and even though you choose a technology tool, you do not have to use every function available.  It should also be assessed for future use at the end of a course.

There are a number of different ways to communicate with the students in the class. Small group or one-on-one methods like email, FaceTime, and messaging, large group like Skype or Zoom, and social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook. It is important to evaluate each possible method and determine if they meet your needs.

Effective communication can be done using multiple means.  It depends souly upon ones own ability to understand what is available, but most importantly how to use it.

With the online courses, students need to understand that there are boundaries. I had students upset that because they posted a question at midnight or even 10pm that I didn't respond immediately. I have been clearly stating my "Office Hours" from the beginning of every term so that students know that I will answer in those times and, if I happen to get on and check messages later in the evening, I will respond then as well. They sometimes seem to feel that just because they're on, we should be here waiting for them like an AI bot.

I learned how important is to evaluate our communication tolls formative and summative to garany student satisfaction.

Ensuring that all students have a sufficient and reliable connection for communication is critical in online learning. It is important to utilize communication techniques from a variety of resources.

With COVID 19 going around you have to be flexible in your choice of technology, I have used Goodle classroom, Cengage and am now loading up Canvas to be able to teach either in a classroom setting or online.  All have great features.  In Canvas though it will grade the quizzes and test once you have set it up, setting it up does require time but in the long run you can structure it to copy and use for future classes.  I also use e-mail and Zoom.  Amazing all the technology that is available.

How to effectively evaluate technology so as to optimize its benefits.

Ive learned that if we do not have good communication with the online students we will not be on the same page and students will not be getting the best communication.  Utilizing many different tools thorugh out the course will get different responses and interactions.

Using technology tolls is essetial for effective communication.  researching the the best tools for what you are wanting to accomplish with the student and the intrauctor is very important.

It is important to investigate and test any given communication technique before implementing it.

communication with students is vewry important, I look emails.

text messages are too personal unless its a reminder for something,email is a cheap and effective way to conatct all students but there are boundaries to emails set times and communicate when you as the instructor will be checking emails and answering.

I learned that whatever tool used for online teaching, it requires research on all aspects of the use of that tool. I like the idea of getting feedback from the students throught the course. I can always improve.

I have learned so far from this course various ways to interact with students through online and distance learning platforms. I intend to implement these best practices in my virtual learning space.

Sign In to comment