Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned it is extremely important to align the right technology for the appropriate use. Proper investigation and assessment of the function associated with a technology is necessary to ensure overall effectivess is achieved. Instructors are responsible for ensuring students are given proper instruction and direction on how to use recommended technologies.

I have learned to not use texting lingo when posting to an online learning format. 

Reply to Aricka McCauley's post:  I have a Google Voice number that I use with my students so my personal number is still personal.  I love using text to communicate with students.  It's in real time and I don't have to constantly be logging into my email.  I turned off the notifications so when I'm not available I'm not bombarded with text dings.  My students appreciated my availabilty to help them.

I have learned the importance of selecting appropriate technology tools to use in online teaching. I will use formative and summative assessments to evaluate the effectiveness of my technology tools

Interacting with students and staying up to date with their learning progress helps improve learning.

Providing an opportunity time and again for student feedback on the communication loop is critical in sustaining your online course activity.

There is a plethora of online communication devices/ tools one can incorporate into their online class.  I will researc which ones will best serve my communication needs and not feel pressured to use all of the funcions available on that specific tool.  I may also seek out other ways to use those functions if they fit the needs of my class.

Interesting take on the varied methods of communication to assist in online education.  Well organized!

Online classrooms creates so many problems that need to be understood. Without live chats. You have no idea who is behind the keyboard. We all know student to student interactions is many times sharing and trading answers. There needs to live human interaction to look a person in the eye and know that they know the subject matter. If you are going to test online you need a larger pool of quiz / test questions. One online test leads to print screens being passed around. Essays work great. Different test days for different students. Just like different types of test hits all the different learning styles, you need to have strict rules regarding shring work unless in a group format.

It is important to remember to assess and reflect on the tool's effectiveness to ensure proper usage and effective communication.

I appreciated the review of types of communication and what is most effective for different types of interaction.  With so much available, it was great to have a concise review to point me in a direction to explore.  I hope to incorporate more tools in the future.

I feel that choosing the right communication tool is key to get across the information needed.

I have learned how important it is to research the various technology tools before deciding which one(s) will be the most effective and enhance communication in your course.  In addition, it is very important to assess and reflect on the tool's effectiveness using formative and summative formats.

Using a variety of communication modes is important.  It helps increase the chance of actually making contact with a student.

Choosing the right communication tool for your class is important. It should enhance your teaching and professionalism. Students will have to be taught how to use familiar tools in a new and professional way.  Also boundaries will have to be given so 24-7 access is not expected.

There are many communication tools available for teachers and students depending on their needs and abilities. The most important thing is to choose a few that will work best for you and your group. I also liked the idea of getting feedback from your students during the course and at the end of the course to assess the tools you are using and change them, if needed. 

I learned that the communication method a teacher uses can have a big impact on how the student learns and communicates. If the communication method is ineffective, students may feel frustrated and have difficulties on top of the material they are learning for the class. I think its a great idea to ask for feed back during the class so that the instructor can make adjustments as needed to eliviate any frustrations. I also like the idea of the teacher reaching out to students by phone to begin a rapport with the students and make them feel like part of the group. 

There are many ways to communicate with students and many ways from them to communicate with each other. But it is very important to understand how each of the systems works and how they are most effectively used. It is also important that students understand the rules of communication.

Technology is constantly changing, and so it is important stay current.  Our students certainly do.

Select the technology tool to enhance communication in the class. Evaluate the pros and cons of each tool and match the technology 

tool with the desired function in instruction.

Sign In to comment