Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

great 

Both students and facilitators should have technology available and know how to use the technology to best advantage. Students also need clear understanding of what is required of them and why. Rubrics help to explain where a student succeeded and where they fell short. Rubrics make grading easier and allow for less misunderstanding.

Modifications are changes in what students are expected to learn, based on their individual abilities. Examples of modifications include use of alternate books, pass/no pass grading option, reworded questions in simpler language, daily feedback to a student

Active Learning is a wonderful tool for the instructor that helps each student to learn at their fullest potential. An instructor must be willing and positive to introduce active learning to their students. I really liked that active learning students have a chance to complete a self-reflection.

Kasey McCusker

Interacting with students in my synchronus class using questions, feedback, real life scenarios and why what we're learning is important, has been tremendously helpful in students retaining info

Comment on Melanie Pariseau's post: Engagement of online courses or blended are reliant upon active learning!!

The importance of rubrics, not only for the instructor when explaining expectations and grading, but for the students to self-monitor during their preparation of an assignment.

Active Learning should include reading, reflective writing, displaying, and doing. Students must be given paramaters, requirements, and time allotment before setting out to complete an assignment. The lessons should be relevant to students and demonstrate a reason for why the assignment is important to their education. 

Incorporating active learning strategies doesn't have to time intensive or high risk.  Start small with purposeful low-risk activities like discussion boards or breakout groups.  You can build in the trust of the students as they are successful in small ways by giving timely feedback and encouraging their engagement.  As students and instructors before more comfortable with active learning, more high-stakes projects can be used.

Rubrics are very useful for establishing a certain level of expectations and are helpful when grading student or group work.

Implementing active learning strategies is critical for student-centered teaching. Incorporating elements like videos, scavenger hunts, and group projects can allow students different avenues for engaging with the material on their own terms. It places the instructor into a facilitator role and is very important as the world of higher education moves forward to critical thinking and "doing" oriented goals. 

It is always important to consider the physical/technological and the student constraints to planned active learning activities.  It is important that all activities are equally accessible to students.  Rubrics should be detailed and must apply directly to the course learning outcomes.  

I would apply both of these tenets in my approach as a student-centered instructor.

I like that I have a clear assignment: research and use 3-5 active learning strategies that I will incorporate into the course.

Active learning requires modification of traditional methods of assessment. Rubrics can aid in this process. The use of technology can assist in the mastery of course content in a student-centered approach..diversification of skill sets within group projects can lead to students showcasing their strengths in order to aid the group as a whole.

The thing that stuck with me was time management. I have seen this so many times - students in an online class don't really take into account that they have to meet deadlines and still show up for class.

It is important to use different modalities to reach every student such as video feedback, audio feedback and written feedback. Be encouraging as an instructor and comment on their work regularly, students need to see examples so they know what the instructor is looking for.

I am going to incorporate more of the active learning modules I have found, recently, in my courses. Also, I am going to create a welcome/introductory video to walk students through the structure of the course content/activities. This should help with motivating students by establishing a positive instructor presence. I will work to strengthen student engagement and reinforce instructor presence using positive, encouraging statements in timely discussion feedback.

The key elements of active learning are Reading, Reflective Writing, Displaying and Doing. It is essential that instructors utilize these elements in their coursework.

In my coursework, we have readings that provide the student with creative inspiration as well as an in-depth description of the tasks they will later be doing themselves. We then ask the students to reflect on those readings and what they learned from them. Later I show my students examples of professionals in the field completing the task that we are soon going to complete in our projects. Lastly, we work on the projects as a class. This successfully covers all four of those elements.

Student involvement and engagement are the keys to active learning. SO TRUE! 

Help with time management by being consistent with assessments form the beginning. Guild by having students lead themselves - learn each other's strengths and weaknesses then share project duties. They need to understand the material not just memorize it.

Sign In to comment