Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubrics do alleviate several headaches for both the student and instructor.

Becoming a supporter and advocate for active learning represents a transformative shift in educational philosophy, emphasizing engagement and participation over passive reception of information. By turning practically all activities into exercises, you are actively fostering an environment where students are not just absorbing content but are immersed in the learning process. 

Critical thinking and problem-solving are intertwined skills that thrive in an environment of active engagement and collaboration. By creating a problem, presenting it to your students, and encouraging them to collectively use their intellectual faculties to find solutions, you are fostering a dynamic and participatory learning experience. 

I, myself, have an office that is appointed like the bridge of the Enterprise and I expect that my students may have similar appointments with multiple monitors, televisions, game-gear etc. which provides numerous distractions.

To that end, I nearly always engage with attention getting dialogue/questions that elicit a, "wait...WHAT?" response.

My goal is to get the student to become much more interested and involved in the subject matter and engage with not only myself but their classmates as well.

What I have learned in this module is the importance of active learning in an online environment. Active learning is always important, except it should be greatly enhanced in an online environment. Each student should be actively engaged to help them be successful. 

Active learning involves a shift from teacher-centered learning to a student-centered learning, which can present challenges for instructors both in their mindset and in learning new teaching methods. I find it interesting that some teachers may not approach this task enthusiastically because of a perceived lack of control over the course. I have the opposite sentiment because active learning presents a challenge and an opportunity to develop my teaching skills more in line with modern practices. This section provided some useful pointers on how to best adopt and implement active teaching techniques, though more research and experimentation is needed to properly engage the students. Active learning requires the students to be engaged, which in turn requires the instructor to foster engagement with the course material. There were a number of useful suggestions on how to do this in this module, which I will incorporate into my course.  

I look forward to continuing to study this topic more in-depth.

Different active learning activities to use in my class.

rubrics have a great impact on the student , the student will know the subject and will know where are they during the class.

I appreciate learning about the types of active learning including reading, reflective writing, displaying, and doing. I plan on incorporating all four of these things into my courses. 

I love how active learning is so centered around the students' experience. This module encouraged me to pay special attention to the ways in which I might be able to approach course content to better capitalize on the input of my students both individually and as a group.

I will implement a group work rubric in my classes.  I also think the emphasis on continued feedback for student motivation is an important reminder.

As an instructor, it's good to use timely and effective feedback. 

Engagement with students and encouragement in the course material. 

I have learned to incorporate interactive elements for example instead of standard lecture use group discussions, case studies.

Rubric system is the best part and is very beneficial for such classrooms.

I feel that good teaching involves assessment if what you are teaching by learning the feedback from the students. It is really no different for those instructors using active learning techniques. Some of the instructors do not want to receive poor evaluations and ultimately, they want students to achieve course learning outcomes.

I need to learn five active learning tools to use in my online classroom.

Just like face-to-face learning, it is important to keep students engaged in online learning. Instructors need to be continuously creative with assignments and class activities. Also, rubrics are an excellent tool to help with grading.

Active learning makes the class more enjoyable for both the instructor and the students. In theory, it should keep everyone engaged and promote student-centered learning. 

It is important to give frequent feedback and grades so students know how they are doing in the course and stay engaged. It is also important to directly reply to posts and assignments so they feel like they can communicate with the instructor.

Sign In to comment