Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Active learning requires learning to be student-centered. Assessments and constructed, targeted, timely feedback is important. Students do not learn from "Good job." They need to know specifics, espeically for areas of improvement. 

I thought this was a good tip: Instructors can set up a competition between team blogs on finding the best research on a particular course topic.

Learning techniques are essential in that they promote teh effectiveness of online learning. I have learnt that the incorporation of such techniques can allow me to improve my understanding of different topics. furthermore, i have also learnt that the incorporation of active learning techniques can boost my comprehension. 

It is imperative for online instructors to engage students in active learning, even if students are reluctant. As long as the online instructor create fun learning activities, students are likely to buy in.

I have learned a lot in this segment. There are important terms in the Online environment and I like the following:

1. Time Management - in that students must be able to navigate through this to be successful

2. The instructor should be like a movie director taking control and guiding the learning process.

I laso learned several low risk stratigies to engage and involve the Online students:

1. Provide course relevance

2. Use inspirational notes

3. Give students clear boundaries

4. Set student parameters

5. Use vivid examples

6. Provide good feedback and timely feedback

I learned that it is important to take into account the class size, cost, and limitations of the physical environment when planning active learning lessons.

Students should be made aware up front at the beginning of the course that it will involve active engagement in the learning process on their part. It is important that the instructor explain the "why" of active learning and what the students will get out of it in a way that students can relate it to thier own lives. Keeping the students motivated to complete the active learning activities is part of this and the instructor needs to take time to research the available tools that students could use to complete projects and assignments and decide which ones might line up with the desired learning outcomes. I will need to learn more about the technology available that students might use to create group projects that are meaningful and motivating.

I have learned new terminology including "reverse instruction" and "flipped classroom".  I have beem using these

two techniques, but did not have the terminology.  in the future on the onset of the class, I will share with the students

the teaching styles I am ultizing. 

I would love to incorporate active learning; however, I do have some hesitation on giving up control of class material. I would like to start incorporating some low risk active learning and quickly work my way up : ) 

The thing I got from this is, as an instructor, I need to be more open, flexible, and ready for active learning. My feedback needs to be more thorough. 

It is application of the active learning environment such as providing rubrics to set standards for grading that assist student and instructor.

Modification of traditional classroom activities toward student-centered teaching requires a multifaceted approach. Individuals will be motivated to incorporate active learning when they find making the changes rewarding. Student-centered teaching approach will be focused on transitioning instructor/student behaviour,  instructors will engage in guiding, coaching, steering and providing overall perspective, students will engage in reading, reflective writing, displaying, and doing. Instructors can engage students in the active learning by makng the process fun and interesting, providing constructive feedback and guidance. Tools that support collaboration and project learning include wikis, blogs, discussion boards, and audio/video tools. The use of rubrics in directing students learning process sets clear guidlines and expectations for effective learning.

This course really gave some great point to active learning via on line. I currently use power points online but just as a references. One thing I am taking away from this course is the use of inspirational quotes that can keep the students engaged.

I very much liked the idea of having a group rubric with a yes or no scale, I think this will be very helpful with making sure students know what they should consider before submitting their work.  Along with the assessment rubric the more information that can be provided but allowing space within the rubric for creative, ingenuity and innovation can result in a wonderful learning experience.

Online learning is not as simple as it sounds.  Every thinks it's an easy "A".  There's much to consider with the "Active Learning" methodology including learners' situations, educators' attitudes, and modern technology.  The idea of a rubric provides clear communication of expections vs performance to the learners.  Students should be able to understand what the educator is looking for and perform accordingly, clarifications are needed if there's additional questions.

There are approaches to be effective with active learning. For example, creating a comfortable learning environment is vital and building rapport with the students are necessary. As an instructor, learning the students first name and last names and use them regularly will show an interest in content of learning. Active learning is any learning activity in which the student participates or act together with the learning process, as resisted to passively taking in the information. It is important when given the opportunity to actively engage with the information they are learning, students will perform better. Examples of active learning activities include brainstorming, discussing, teaching, group work, focused listening, formulating questions, notetaking, and my favorite roleplaying.

Modifications of traditional classroom activities shifts from all the attention on teacher towards the students. It is more a student centered approach rather than teacher centered. As mentioned in my previous post, teachers are not accustomed teaching active learning when coming straight from a classroom setting. I myself, as both an in class and online instructor, I love to engage my students by asking them for feedback. For example, "what do you guys think?", "has this ever happened to anyone?", or read case studies and then ask them what they would do in certain situations. 

Rubrics are critical to connecting learning outcomes to overall success in online courses.

I have learned that:

All good teaching involves assessment. This includes courses using active learning techniques.

Rubrics can assist instructors in adequately grading students’ learning in this academic environment

and assist students in understanding the expectations.

Rubrics can accomplish three things...1. communicates assignment expectations to students 2. provides a grading structure for instructors 3. after grading, provides feedback to students on what criteria they did not meet.  I HIGHLY recommend using rubrics, especially for online.

Sign In to comment