Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The most important thing is to utilize all the tools available and incorporat it in the online course, it is time consuming at first but in the long run beneficialf or the student.

I have learned that there are may ways to add active learning to my classes. I need to give them mot information in the beginning  and not just prior to the event or collection time.  

I will be using the rubric method a whole lot more now. I think this is a lot better way to do an assessment on a student.

It also will help them to see what we are looking for.      

Reply to Jane Brady's post: I had the same problem.....the students were just logging in using audio. I gave everyone extra credit if the logged in via video. After the first initial video loggin was complete it was never an issue again.

Active learning engagement must be promoted and encouraged. Some students need help coming out of their shell. Positive feedback on the students work is always helpful and lets them know that even though there is no F2F the instructor is paying attention.

Rubics can eliminate stress stress in assessment.

Gloria, I found that engagement is very important for online learning. Making sure your are implementing learning activities either at the beginning of easch session as a review or at the end to see if the students did retain the material that had been presented, this can be via a discussion

Rubrics helps teacher's promote the consistant guidlines and applications of learning and it also helps students keep track of where their at in their growth.

Incorporating multiple modalities in order for students to be able to access the informaiton will help keep students engaged. Getting them to be more accountable by providing rubrics will alleviate some of the instructor aggrevation.

As instructors, we will need to try our best to make the learning environment fun.  We also need to explain the "why" to students for completing various assignments to get buy-in from the.  It is essential that you communicate with students frequently and consistently.  If need tips on integrating technology into your classroom, it is suggested that you collaborate with the instructional designer.  Finally, assessing students is very important, but them knowing the parameters of what you are assessing is even more important.

Traditional classroom environments (F2F) make it much easier to implement active learning. Online teaching requires much more planning in order to allow for the flow of instruction to include active learning strategies. When doing these active strategies online, it is important to note that our learners will do them in the following format: Reading, reflective writing, displaying, doing. I really loved the idea of students finding places and examples of things (the health class example with the defibrillators) and posting those in the course. Finally, I agree that rubrics are a teacher's best friend! Everyone is starting out on the same page in terms of the teacher's expectations and the student's responsibilities for the assignment or even for the entire course. 

Active learning is a critical component for successful online teaching and helps ensure student engagement and various learning styles. Additionally, it helps the students have a better comprehension and incorporation of the topic.  

To help ensure a students' success in the class is to provide a clear criterium or list of expectations on how grades will be provided. 

I love the idea of students actually "doing." Any kind of display of students' learning shows students' mastery of concepts, and builds self-esteem. Addtionally rubrics are a great way to evaluate students. They are also a great way to communicate expectations of students for a particular project. Engaging students in a "rubric-building" activity is a great way to promote class expectations, and provide students with ownership of their class performance. When students design the rubric, they have an active voice in discussing what makes a strong project and a weak project, and are ultimately determining the academic standards to which they will be held. 

Engagement is key when transitioning students to a more active learning approach. Beginning with a few 'low risk' activities such as responding to an open ended, possibily opinionated, question to help them get started with active learning can be crucial to get them "on board". 

One of the most important components of active online learning is instructor attitude. Online instructors must come to online teaching with a positive attitude and be willing to put in the time and effort to develop two or three active learning activities. Student attitudes must also be managed by setting clear expectations, including the estimated amount of time needed to complete projects and how they will be graded on completion of those projects. Clear rubrics can address the challenges of grading activities such as role play and group discussion, and may be partially based on active participation and time on task. Relevance, targeted frequent feedback, inspiration and encouragement and clear boundaries that allow for individual creativity also increase effectiveness. Modifying traditional F2F to online also requires both instructors and students to explore and experiment with technologies that may be new to them, such as Skype, video production applications, and wikis or or other forums. I appreciated the "rule of thumb" of including two or three active learning activities into online courses, and look forward to applying this, and some of the other specific tactics mentioned to increase peer and instructor interaction and engagement in my online courses.

The instructor must direct the student inoder for them to get the most out of the program, the instructor should also make the class intresting and make the student want to learn and particapate in the activity's of the class as well.

I'm looking forward to incorporating more of these interactive project ideas in the classroom to get my students more actively paritcipating in an online course version of this class. This disspells my notions about an online course not being able to meet the hands on experience and possibilities that I now know an online course is VERY capable of. I particularly like the idea of having the students participate in putting together a video or a group blog/presentation using technology toe their advantage rather than relying only on lectures and simply regurgitating information back. 

rubrics help both students and instructors

Technology provides for group projects and assignments can be done in an online learning class with ease.

Like face 2 face instruction, goals and expectations for active learning must be developed then clearly provided to students. Target dates and announcements must be clear and acknowledge by all students. Continuous feedback for students is what I have been doing in my face 2 face classes for many years. It is more important for online learners to see positive feedback to succeed in the course.

Although Active Learning is a student-centered approach to learning, the instructor must ask as a "movie director" and guide the student through the learning process.  In addition, I have learned that many students are not use to this method of teaching, as a result, it is imperative that the instructor explain the active learning process.  I have learned that the one of the  "study tool"  we should help our students with is time management. 

Sign In to comment