Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Through consistent and timely feedback active learning will be successful as students receive the input for uccess often. 

I learned the professor needs to change his/her attitudes.

Studying-centered-learning allows the student to take control of their progress.

I have become a supporter and advocate for active learning and now make practically all my activities into exercises of sorts

The alignment of active learning actitivies with course objectives is critical. The students need to be able to see how the activity connects to the outomes. otherwise they often see the activities as a waste of their time. The instuctor can explain how the activity will help them aciheve the outcomes and that their use of the activity was well-thought out and meant to faciliatate learning and achievement of objectives. 

I have spent my entire academic life online (17 years) and I still find it interesting to hear traditional on-ground instructors who feel that online is inferior to on-ground learning. Clearly they are not willing to abandon the platform they are so accustomed to using and are both indifferent and attitudinally negative with regard to online learning, unwilling to accept it or embrace it. Hopefully Covid has changed a few minds - but I doubt it.

Student engagment is important to keep students involved and is facilitated by the instructor.

The risk felt when moving towards active learning can be mitigated by rubrics that all for defining and assessing assignments and assuring that students will work towards the necessary breadth and depth of the subject matter. The illustration of the director seems fitting, although it is possible that in Hollywood the director's role is far more detailed than what is described in this course. I see bringing the streams together, that is 1. the studied and lived expertise of an instructor who has dedicated decades to understanding a topic, and 2. the active inquiry of the student who will better understand and remember if they are more engaged in the process of the transmission of this knowledge to them. 

All good teaching involves assessment. Students need to understand the parameters of the assessment and rubrics can help. It is important to have to rubric directly connected to the Learning outcomes as well.

In this module I learned about the importance of the instructor's attitude and being student oriented is key to implementing Active learning strategies.  The strategies for engaging the learner must be directly related to the course and the learning objectives.  We also need to have a rubric for grading and provide feedback on a continuous basis.  The student needs to feel the active learning strategy has a purpose and will help them to learn.  I like the concept of the "periodic pause" and "Flipping the Class", I have used both of these strategies in F2F classroom and I will try to use it in the online environment as well.

I don't know - what I'm reading is a lot of chaotic change that both students and instructors resist.  What am I missing?

I think to keep in mind not only using the traditional way of teaching but to be open to incorporate other active learning techniques as well. Just keep evolving like everything does in life and how we learn. 

So definitely being a student via online requires a more student center approach versus teacher approach. It is harder to be on top of students when it comes to taking exams. That is why discussions and collaborative interaction, a teacher can get a genuine feel how each student is and really performs. Also, the use of rubrics is a great way for students to use for guidance in their assignments, and easier for teachers to look upon and use as a reference when grading.

Time management can be a challenge for many online students. This has proven to be true in my current role. 

I really enjoyed this quote from the text: 

As K. Patricia Cross states, “learning is not so much an additive process, with new learning simply piling up on top of existing knowledge, as it is an active, dynamic process in which the connections are constantly changing and the structure reformatted.” As instructors, we often think of this idea of just adding information and knowledge to our students' already existing knowledge, so that when they graduate they have this jar full of knowledge and experience to take with them into a career. But without building these connections and structures between ideas, information, experiences, then students won't be able to access this information or make decisions based on newly acquired knowledge.

There needs to be a blend between online learning and classroom learning.

"The process ot learning should be seen as positive for both the instructor and the students, and should be vibrant and full of life...."

It is important for students to be involved and engaged in their learning and for the instructors to guide them so they can have a good experience and be successful in their courses/classes.

Rubrics are good tools for instructors to utilize, not only for themselves, but for guiding their students in an active learning, on-line setting.

I see in this section very important points in quality teaching even for traditional method. Engaging students. Targeted feedback. Guiding students pryects and presentations. Active discussions in group. Assesment of learned material. All of this are great tools in active learning teaching.

Students must be informed of how much time the assignments could take to complete to allow students to manage their time. Rubrics are important for both the students and instructors to use their time efficiently and have transparency for grading.

Sign In to comment