Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is very important that clear instructions are given by online faculty so miscommunications are avoided.

Online tools play a significant role in a student's success in a course. These tools serve as a foundation in building a community for the students; where interaction with the instructor, fellow students, or people within a group can be fostered and facilitate a deeper learning.

The syllabus is a very important part of the learning process. Gives the student instructions in detail how, where, and when to follow in the course. Scaffolding has 8 tasks to be successful.

Syllabus is very important, it lets the student know what is expected and what will need to be done, it can help them manage their time better to make sure all assignments are done.

I learned that scaffolding create a steadfast fondation for all learners.
Creating  dynamice syllabus is highly important for online learners

Wow....lots of information in this section! I have learned the importance of creating a fluid yet dynamic syllabus and allowing students to provide feedback to modify assignments and projects. I also learned the importance of effective online chats, communications, and scaffolding.

I've taken online courses and you definately need interactive content.

Offering students varied forms of communication that is dynamic and interactive facilitiates good learning environments for almost all online students. Specifically, an electronic course syllabus should be packed with information extending beyond the basic information; modules, assignments, tests, grading and due dates; to include links to resources (videos, instructions, instructor email, etc) and a disclaimer to students that due to the dynamic nature, the information in the syllabus is subject to change. Scaffolding and communication should be as varied as the syllabus. A strong virtual learning environment teacher offers several avenues for students to access for learning opportunities (I2S, S2I, S2S, G2I, I2G, and G2G) throught a web-based community setting for asynchronous learning. Finally, as scaffolding is a traditional instructional strategy; online instructors may scaffold with technology through varied forms of communication within the LMS. 

be involved with students, give clear and detailed instructions, use the website tools to promote discussions and interaction between students

Essentials:  building online communities, scaffolding and creating a dynamic syllabus.  

I need to ensure my courses are user-friendly and is a buildable road map

building on students present knowledge is important

Its not that I learned it, because I was already aware, but this section is really driving home the importance of communication in an online course. Making sure that you are an active participant in the online chats is also really important. I think if you are doing this, students will have more "buy in" in making sure that they are paying attention and doing what they are supposed to. 

I will have to figure out a way to give students a more meanful online experience through better interactions with me and each other.

A good syllabus is one that is ever changing based on feedback from the students.  You should routinely ask what should we stop doing and what should we start doing in an effort to help the students reach their learning objectives

Instructors who use scaffolding typically use the following eight tasks to ensure students are building appropriate scaffolding related to the module or course learning objectives.  These tasks are:

• Provide clear instructions
  • Clarify purpose
  • Keep students on task
  • Offer assessment to clarify purpose
  • Direct students to worthy sources
  • Reduce uncertainty and disappointment
  • Deliver efficiency
  • Create momentum

It's important that the information online be used to encourage and clarify purpose to the students by enhancing their experience with the use of technology, and not simply using technology as a replacement for teaching in the classroom. 

I agree with many of the other comments that using scaffolding to help build on prior knowledge will engage the student and increase their involvment.

Knowing where your Capstone will end up can help drive your syllabus, and using the scaffolding technique makes for easier continuity for the course.

I learned of the importance of making a syllabus a dynamic document that involves links and interactivity. 

Sign In to comment