Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Scafolding can be acheived through discussions, through the knowledge brought forth by each contributing student. Students can build on knowledge acquired from others.  Having a dynamic syllabus allow it to be shared where studnets can access and utilize at any time. Yet I am unsure why a dynamic syllabus is beneficial, except as gingerbread for easily distracted students.

I am not planning on using dynamic syllabi.  This is, among other things, a contract - by nature a static document.

This module outlined how important a syllabus is to online learning. For online learners, the syllabus is more important in delivery of course content, expectations, and assesment to the online learner. Without question, face to face syllabi must be retooled to contribute success for the online learner. Then through proper communication to the individual and / or the group it must be consistent and meet expectations of the course content as detailed within the syllabus.

Communication is important. 

i like the process of building on what the student already know and continuing that processthey continue to learn new skills. the process is called scaffolding. Thanks for the new terminology

I learned that a fluid syllabus is very important as a foundations for the studetns to follow and go back to.  Addistionally scafoolding in an online class is important to develope the students.

Scaffolding students learning help to ensure that students retain the information and and increases mastery. 

A clear syllabus will allow the students to have an idea of what will be going on in the class. This will also keep them on track and engaged throughout the class. Effective online communication is important to keep the students involved and feeling like they belong.

This really is a great method to help students a build a strong educational foundation using web based technology and social resources  to enhance the online learning experiance. 

Two new concepts to me are the dynamic syllabus and wikis.  I would like to explore the dynamic syllabus concept more and also would like to see a sample wiki and learn more about how to create one.  

Utilizing Scaffolding where you build knowledge on previous knowledge. 

I have learned the importance of using a syllabus as a guide for students and myself as a teacher

I learned the importance of a dynamic syllabus and scaffolding.

Students need to feel that they are a part of the learning community. Engagement and inclusion with and in the discussion community is essential. Students have to believe that they have a sense of ownership. Additionally, scaffolding is important. How learning is constructed and built is the stronghold that needs to exist from the very beginning when designing learning.

When building a sylabus you must ensure that it is interactive and fluid.  It must provide a detailed overview of the course content.  Also when teaching, you must scaffold your instruction to build upon what the individual already knows and what is needed to move them in the direction you wish them to learn.

Though the advent of the internet ushered in a new era of learning from distance, structure is still necessary to keep the online learner engaged and on track.  The syllabus should be dynamic and flexible to change as necessary.  Since humans use the internet, the human touch and presence is important.  This is true for both the student and the instructor.  When developing an online learning environment, in addition to the instructor using technology already available for use, the prior knowledge of students may also help with the learning process.  The technique is known as scaffolding, and it can help with tying a student's prior knowledge and experiences with the subject matter.  Using these techniques with technology will guide the learners towards the goal of more knowledge while providing the instructor with a proper sense of successfully teaching the subject matter.

I will be adding communication guidelines for our students to use. We will also incorporate a dynamic syllabus to make it easier to locate information.

Scaffolding is a great way for students to learn based on knowledge they have or others may have.

Scaffolding helps students build on their present learning from their prior learning experiences. 

Ihave learned that a good dynamic syllabus and good scaffolding will not only enhance the students learning ability.  It will also give them precised direction,a scense of belonging but also the ability to suggest changes.

Good communication is very important. Utilize technology such as discussion boards, blogs, and chat rooms. Have realistic expectations of your students and give them credit for participating.

Sign In to comment