Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned the importance of student engagement on virtual classes/calls.

Using web-based tools (using more than just the discussion board)  is important as well as scaffolding. Treating our students with respect is important. 

This module offered me a wonderful reminder on why it is so important to scaffold content for my students. By engaging in activities that allow students to scaffold, they can reflect on their own experiences and gain new knowledge and perspectives.

If we don't scaffold for our students we are doing them a grave diservice.

Communication is bidirectional.  Pausing for effect gives time for students to formulate a reasoned question.  Therefore, the instructor is better able to understand the context of the question.

A clear and consistent syllabus is critical. It should also have student-centered language and not be too punitive. 

The importance of scaffolding involving syllables

I have gained a better understanding of how a syllabus can be used in an online course.  I knew Canvas would dynamically add assignments to a syllabus.  It gives me a new appreciating of how the college implements the syllabus in the math courses.

I understand the importance of scaffolding as it relates to a student's learning, and how using prior knowledge and experiences can help build that process of scaffolding and advancing their learning. 

This lesson i learned to make a detailed syllabus to make it clear what I expect from my students and what they will see in class and what I've planned over the course of the term. Also learned how to keep the communication going between the students and myself, a simple " i agree" isnt enough to keep the lines of communication open.

A syllabus summarizes course content, assignments, and exams. The syllabus is like a map legend, helping you find components and decide where to go. 

provide good detailed instructions to students about effective communications.

Learned the proper use of technology to enable learning and different ways to engage with students. 

Scaffolding works because it creates a foundation of knowledge and then builds upon it, elevating their learning. What do you do when students are very late with their work? If a student falls 2 weeks behind in a 5 week class? 

Helping guide students to build upon prior knowledge is important. Our purpose as the instructor is to make sure that we are steering our students in the right direction and that they are achieving the level of comprehension necessary to be successful with the information at hand.

Sign In to comment