Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Scaffolding is an essential tool that allows learners to learn step by step.

E-learning should include building a community where students feel supported. It is easy to feel alone when taking online courses, so the instructor should help to facilitate peer interactions. 

Hello everyone,

What I learned from this session is the importance on having a constructive syllabus that can guide students on their online learning. Also. learning different online tools is necessary to better guide students is a must to ensure their success. 

I so appreciate being able to learn more about this subject and its implementation with my classes.

I don't use scaffolding much in my course. Although, I can see where it helps as I do teach 3 Research courses. I can see how I can use this, since each Research scaffolds upon the next. So I might want to have further thoughts on how to do this.

That an online syllabus should be more dynamic. 

I disagree with the concept of dynamic syllabus. A syllabus is identified quite correctly as the overall blueprint of the course, including all of the details, expectations and so forth. The syllabus should be in place at the beginning of the course, and serve as the resource to adjudicate any questions about the course as it unfolds. If we change the expectation or the policies of the course after it has started by changing the syllabus, that leaves us open to grievance and or lawsuit. I believe the term bait and switch may apply here. The syllabus should remain intact from day one through the end of the course, and if necessary it can be changed next semester.

The use of scaffolding helps students to build off of foundational or introductory material.

Scaffolding is a necessary tool for enabling student success.

I will begin by identifying an avenue for the students to be able to communicate with the instructors individually and as a group. This will be defined in the syllabus so future issues will be mitigated. Using a scaffolding approach, I will identify subjects in the Syllabi that will allow for assignments to build on one another.

I learned about scaffolding and the importance of communication and an online community. 

Focusing on prior knowledge is essential to achieving scaffolding. Coming at a level too high above students can quickly make them feel isolated and discouraged and coming in at a low level can leave them feeling bored and unengaged. Finding the balance is difficult in a classroom setting but is essential for success. 

I learned how to create a syllabus.

It is very important to create a good syllabus especially for online learning!

it is extremely important to create a dynamic syllabus

The best way to communicate is to provide a detailed syllabus so the students can better understand what they need to do for the course

Scaffolding is a crucial teaching strategy that enables students to construct new knowledge by building upon their existing understanding. This approach recognizes that learners come to the classroom with diverse backgrounds and varying levels of prior knowledge. Effective scaffolding meets students where they are and provides the necessary support to help them progress towards more complex concepts and skills.

I learned there are many different ways to engage and encourage students. Use of a variety of different web-based tools is they key. 

Building on prior knowledge with scaffolding.

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I feel that I have learned that there are a multitude of ways to help create a structure and a community among my online students and that it is much more dynamic than I had originally imagined.  I am looking forward to attempting to create a more interactive syllabus and providing avenues for feedback!

Sign In to comment