Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In this session we learnd bout making sure format are consistant, no matter if it is by area or time.  Many of the items used as resource can or may be used in other lessons.  We have a resources sectionin our tool that we can build assignment and taskf for use in other programs. It also allows sharing between instructors.

In this module, I learned the beginning stages of developing a course module. 

I will use this information for the next time i am required to create an online module. 

I see the value in consistency so a student knows from lesson to lesson the flow of the course materials, allowing them to concentrate on the content.

Teaching Online: A Student-Centered Approach --> Authoring

The language and format in creating my course framwork should flow and be consistent; therefore, enhancing student learning.

Creating or authoring an online class take a step by step approach. Each module and the lessons it contains whould be formatted in the same way to create continuity and ease for the students. The all aspects of the initial module/lesson should be tested before replicating them. Ideally you would have anotehr person use the features to be sure they work as intended. Also, it is advisable to create an place to store any digital objects created or used in teh modules. This iwll save time recreating itmes that may be useful in more than one application.

Consistency in development of content presentation, course appearance and access, and constant testing and revisiting to determine effectiveness of design and delivery of modules.

Using a framework is important as it serves as the guide. Do not think that once done always the same. Revision and improvement. Consistency and having the tools and knowledge to use the tools in the correct manner will improve student outcomes. 

Here are some notes from the module:

EL103 - Teaching Online: A Student-Centered Approach

Authoring

Utilizing the Course Framework - The course framework is the road map for course development. The course framework should be used as a guide to creating a course-module template.

Creating and testing the course-module template - Creating and testing the course-module template is essential for the development and consistency of future course modules. 

Creating and testing a course module - When creating a course module, the first question is, "Will it make sense to the students?"

Creating a Learning-Objects Database - A learning-objects database is a repository to store files, graphics, audio, video, or any necessary course component that may be used more than once in a course or in a variety of courses.

Consistency is the key.  Keep a database of learning objects.  I usually use multimodal objects.  The length of each module should be similar.   

Students need consistency.  Keep the course flow the same throughout.  Students will know what to expect and continue to look.

To make sure that everything is consistent.

I like the idea of chunking!  I like doing a lot of things throught the day, but I didn't think about that as a learning/teaching strategy for students.  It makes sense.  The guidance of videos being 10-15 minutes long is a good guide, although my limit is about 2 minutes.  There is a tool that allows the instructor to insert questions that have to be answered throughout the video.  I would recommend doing something like that for videos to keep the students' interest and to help them be more attentive.

I have learned how important consistency is when developing modules (ex. length of time to complete).

I learned the importance of making my modules consistant in length, styles/format and languae styles. I plan on developing my modules and then trade off with another instructor to test each others set up.

I have learnt the process of creating a course module and the importance of having learning objects database

Consistency is key in an online course. A great way to accomplish this is by utilizing templates. It is important to always have another user test out a course/template before having students complete it, to make sure that the design will work for students.

I am a little confused on exactly what they mean by learning objects. I am assuming that they are talking about class materials or lectures...possibly resources

I appreciate the overview of delivering content consistently.  I am relatively new to online teaching and I do not feel overwhelmed with the approach of this course.

This makes a lot of sense. Have a format and template that is consistent will help learners focus on the content.

It is difficult to get testing done. One thing that I have done is use my online curriculum with face to face classes so that they can point out problems for me.

I have Learned it is important to create a clear visual font so our young children can understand that we want the same look just a different outcome

Sign In to comment