Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned when to use synchronous vs non synchronous.

I have always struggled to get student participation in the discussion boards. This really gave me some ideas about how to keep the conversation going. I can't wait to apply it in the class.

The module offers us very valuable information about engaging students in the E-learning process and the importance of understanding the nature of both Asynchronous and Synchronous Discussions, as well as the learning styles of the students to successfully meet the course goals. Besides, the module gives us some guidelines for providing feedback in the E-learning environment,

Some of the key aspects highlighted are:

Asynchronous discussions do not happen at the same moment. They occur at different moments and extend over a period. They can be viewed as the heart of an online course Students are able to participate and express their views and opinions in asynchronous online discussion forums and have more time than they do in a traditional classroom setting to read, evaluate, and assimilate the information being shared before they post their own responses. Participation in asynchronous discussions among learners may not be spontaneous, which means that we may have to intervene. We need to structure asynchronous activities in such a way that they promote interaction among our learners

Synchronous Discussions occur in real time and are known as chat sessions. A general recommendation is not to use synchronous discussions to teach critical course content unless we are dealing with one student at a time. or if we are using a video conferencing tool. Among the disadvantages of using this type of discussions are:

• Scheduling students across different time zones or who work shifts could be a real challenge.
  • The text on chat screens advances rapidly, thereby having a negative impact on slow readers.
  • Analyzing and summarizing individual student input to chat sessions could also be a real challenge.
  • Fast typists are likely to dominate the chat session

The module suggests that one the factors for synchronous discussions is to provide learners, well in advance, with the information they will be required to prepare for the session, so that they have an adequate preparation time to reflect on the topics of the session, formulate questions, and gather the information they will need to make an intelligent and meaningful contribution.

Three main variables that influence student participation and interaction are related to the learning styles exposed by Bergquist and Phillips (1975). According to these authors, there are three learning styles that avoid involvement.

• Avoidant: They are not interested in learning the course content. They do not communicate with other students or the instructor.
  • Competitive: The goal of students belonging to this category is to outperform other students. They feel they must compete with other students for the instructor's attention, and for high grades. They view the learning experience as a win-lose situation in which they must always win. This competitive behavior can drive away other students from participating
  • Dependent:   They demonstrate little intellectual curiosity and complete only required learning activities. Usually, they regard the instructor and peers as sources of structure and support. Also, they look to authority figures for guidelines on what to do and must be told what to do.

Guidelines for providing feedback in the e-learning environment.

In a traditional classroom setting, learners benefit from immediate verbal feedback as well as non-verbal feedback in the form of body language such as smiles, nods, confused looks, frowns, etc., but in an E-learning setting, a great part of the message can get lost or be misunderstood. The ideal feedback should be worded in way to encourage participation, confidence, and motivation. Feedback should also be constructive criticism if there is a need.  The module recommends that instructors

• Provide feedback on a timely basis.
  • Word the feedback messages in such a way that they build confidence within learners and encourage them to continue to pursue the objectives of the course.
  • Choose the correct tone and wording when the feedback includes criticisms
  • Seek feedback from students on a regular basis by soliciting them some feedback about how the course is progressing or what they want. Also, if the course is fulfilling their expectations
  • Use an e-mail system to provide feedback to students on their contributions to discussion forums, and to advise them of their score on each discussion forum.

Feedback is important when supporting the students learning experience. In the classroom body language and verbal comments help the students learn. In an asynchronous environment precise and encouraging feedback in important. 

Responding with a positive response to students is key in developing a good relationship with them.

It was interesting to learn about the different learning styles, specifically the 3 that can hinder learning for other students (avoiding, competitive, and dependent).

the importance of synchronous and asynchronous platforms for student learning

Keeping the students involved by providing asynchronous and synchronous discussions. 

I learned to use the discussion boards not only as a learning tool but as a method to control the pace of the class as well as get a good feel for the type of learners my students are. From this I can meaningfully engage them and help them through the course.

Instructional feedback that provides students with appropriate teaching points should be timely and encouraging. Engaging students remotely requires continuous monitoring and communication. 

I have learnt about the guidelines towards effective asynchronous and synchronous discussions and how to successfully engage with the students in both settings. 

I learned the difference between synchronous and asynchronous discussions, how to structure activities 

"Entice learners to interact with each other by responding to groups of related responses rather than individual messages, and by encouraging learners to comment on a selected learner's response."

Asynchronous discussions allow for more reflection and perhaps more participation results. Synchronous discussions allow students social time to compare notes with each other.

Understanding the difference between asynchronous and synchronous discussions is very important to the success of online courses and student learning outcomes.  

Active participation from the instructor is important to functional discussions. Whether it be synchronous or asynchronous, the instructor should be active, discuss important topics, be sure to guide the discussion to stay on track, and be sure to comment regularly. Setting standards and discussing netiquitte is important as well. 

Fostering communication is essential for both on line and traditional classrooms. Finding what works is always tricky, but sticking to what is working is key. 

Instructors must understand that asynchronous discussions occur at different moments within a given weekly timeframe and are the heart of any online course. In contrast, synchronous discussions occur in real-time and are often called chat sessions and afford opportunities for socializing. Moreover, instructors should recognize that there is no specific learning style. Instead, students can have more than one learning style to different degrees. When giving feedback, the wording must encourage participation, confidence, and motivation and be constructive when needed.

Knowing which type of communication is best for certain situations in an online learning environment is important. You must chose a type of communication that is appropriate for the situation. 

Having your synchronous discussions be with only one student at a time was interesting to me. I was under the assumption that the classes would be synchronous, as that is what I am used to coming from college during Covid-19. All of my courses for a little over 1.5 years were synchronous, so I was under the assumption that for the brain break the answer would be all students. 

Now I notice that it was talking about asynchronous courses and how to deal with students falling behind or just casual check ins, do them one on one! 

Sign In to comment