Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding the CMS and its capabilities will help the instructor in an online class. Also, knowing where to go for learning support or tech support in case problems arise.

As an instructor for e-learning having a specific structure is a key for having the students understand the content of what they are learning. Communication is the biggest concern when having online students. Having support is key with tech and understanding your students.

I understand that I need to have a complete understanding of the CMS structure to help the students navigate the content.

It is important to know the needs of all of our students to have a successful learning experience.

Being available to your students is the key to success for any class.  On line instruction is different than traditional instruction and some students require more attention than others.

Most people underprepare for their face to face interactions due to overconfidence, but it's important to have guardrails for consistency and to remain effective by not leaving out vital information when topics become more conversationally comfortable. It's important to repeat or mirror others communication to show effective active listening skills, this will improve the trust and emotional relationship of the speakers during their conversation,

Very helpful so far.  Orientation and fortification of this information with new students is directly tied to less questions about the technology and more questions about the subject matter.  My students that have used Canvas in the past get assignments submitted efficiently and on time.  It is my ultimate goal for each new class to make sure each student can work with our CMS within the first week.  Then we can get focused on the course material.

Quality courses provides learners with a complete, properly sequenced, concise, easily studied, adequately illustrated and sufficiently elaborated content to enable them to acquire the desired learning outcomes.

Knowing how to navigate and maximize the CMS platform will set instructors up for success. This includes investing time into understanding all of the features on our end as educators but also considering and studying how students are receiving and navigating the content on their end. Features like Student View can be so helpful in this regard!

The importance of understaning all components of the LMS and that structuring lectures is key to help online learners learn best. 

Interactive learning sounds great instead of passive information learning.

Instructors support is important in online learning.

I learned that I need to be more proactive in posting regularly in discussion forums

There's a lot involved and a lot to an online course.  One quote from the reading stood out to me regarding being a successful online instructor: "your ability to manage the learning environment and each learner's learning experiences, and to provide informative and constructive feedback in a timely manner, is of prime importance to your success".

I really enjoyed learning about the following:

1.  A CMS orientation course fopr students.  My college is not offerring this yet, and I think it would be very helpful.

2.  Reading about student activity reports prompts the question:  how can our CMS steamline communication re: student progress, both from a student support perspective, but also form a administrative reports/compliance perspective?  I'm intrigued and intend to investigate.

I learned there are many different styles of online learning and many support outlets for us as instructors. Also as an instructor it is my responsibility to review the material thoroughly to ensure I can offer my support as well to my students. This will set them up for success in their learning journey. 

This course was a good reminder of the need to make sure that all my students understand the e-learning system from day one.

It was nice to have a list of objectives to ensure that I am heading down the appropriate path before the course.  Even after years of teaching it is still nice to have clear instructions.

Comment on Gina Barton's post:  This is true also for me I need to be more familiar with and know the online learning platform in order to provide the support students will need.

I learned that being given a common objective to communicate or teach doesn't mean there's only one way to communicate that to your students.  There are various ways of communicating this knowledge using different methods on the online platform.  It's important to know the audience of learners before deciding what method of communication best reaches them.  

Sign In to comment