Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I've actually learned alot about online instructing. I had no idea all the little pieces that needed to fit together for the BIG picture( the course) I also learned ways I can strenghten myself as an instructor so that in turn my students are engaged in the learning and can succeed at my course.

I grew up and took traditional classes in a classroom.  Even though I have a Master's degree, it was 22 years ago and in a traditional classroom.  So, e-learning is an impressive evolution in training.  From what I am reading thus far, there are some advantages to e-learning over classroom instruction.  However, it looks like this type of learning will take more effort for the students and instructor.  Keeping track of everything can be time consuming.  As I learn about Blackboard, it seems like a well thought out LMS that is relatively easy to use after you get comfortable with it.

I learned that the instructor has to have full understanding of the online world in order to communicate and teach the necessary information. 

Reinforcement on the strategies to help students and importance to have a strong presence. 

I learned that it is important to be prepared and understand the roles of the educator and the learner. Establish goals and outcomes early. Familiarize yourself with course content. Know your resources ---- tech support.

Making sure the student can be successful is importan. Therefore, as the instructor I must familiarize myself with the system before posting any information to the students.. how I communicate with the students online us important .

I am new at teaching and online teaching and this seems a bit intimidating, but I've learned that to present a sucessful online course you need to be prepared and know your course material, to present quality, concise and adequate instruction so that the students may become engaged in their learning and complete the course on time and successfully. Also, to help the student with this you should be available for them and answer any questions in a timely manner so they may feel a sense in security knowing someone on the other side cares about their succes as well.

I learned all the different tasks and responsibilities we have as online instructors.

As an Instructor, it is important for me to understand the uses of the CMS system. In addition, going through the process and understanding the strategies of online learning in advance, would make me a more proficient instructor. 

Firstly its important to be very comfortable with the course delivery platform, for me that is CANVAS. The details found in your course also carry as much weight. For example are all the exams available from the first day? Must the content be reviewed in a specific order? I got a good grasp of the overall necesseties invloved in course delivery.

There are many ways to navigate the e-learning platform and its the instructors job to help them become better learners.

A course consists of modules, modules of lessons, lessons of topics. A simple and great design.

Reply to Michelle Ollivierre's post:Knowledge of CMS is very important.

A course consists of modules, modules of lessons, lessons of topics. A simple and great design.

As an online instructor, I love that the Central Management System gives the student an opportunity to explore so many key aspects of this discipline--exposing them to main theories, key concepts, and to me, the most exciting: central questions. I like to provide a comfortable online environment for the students to explore the challenging questions that will arise, pushing their boundaries and intellectually piquing your interest. I encourage them to share and reflect upon their own experiences in their personal and professional lives to make connections to the online classroom discussions. I believe this is how the best learning takes place!

The key to providing a positive online learning environment for students is organization.  I have to be familiar with the CMS and ready to provide help to students with issues that may occur during the course.

It is nice to have a bulleted list of the very basics instructors need to know what to do. I like simple lists to summarize paragraphs.

Important in an online environment are faculty engagement and presence in the course without overwhelming the students. I will facilitate the learning process while guiding the learners.

Online learning is a different platform than in class learning. The role of the teacher is to present the necessary information in an easily understood format. The layout should be consistent and easily navigated for the students. Teachers can send announcements and manage the class online. 

Have all equipment ready, in good working order.  Know your information that you are trying to convey, be prepared to answer questions.  Acknowkedge that each student has a different style of learning and be able to adapt as necessary to better deliver your information.

Sign In to comment