Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

mainting respfectul clear communication is key to conflict resolution. 

Clear expectations must be set but also enforced.

Being an expert in a topic is useless if you cannot effectively communicate and explain the topic in ways that your students can clearly understand. Examples and alternate ways of explaining can help.

This module taught me that I need to be slow to accuse or penalize students, I need to gather evidence in each situation and give the student the benefit of the doubt while I handle the situation.

I learned that developing an environment the discourges cheating will deter students from cheat. I feel that having a good rapport with the students will ensure that trust and respect is developed.

Helping the student with a solution to the problem/behavior is ultimate outcome.

Managing student behavior is eaisly done by using  student's body language, listening. placing students in small groups and not giving them any opportunity to cheat. 

This was a great module for me. The majority of my students are very constructive students eager to learn, but I struggled with strategies when addressing disruptive students. The balance of figuring out the root of the issue, avoiding embarrassment and resentment, while also being fair is a tricky thing to perform. The strategies, particularly in regards to angry students, will help me tremendously in the future. 

Developing rapport with your students is a helpful tool to ensure academic integrity. 

Managing Student Behavior:

Managing student behavior seems to be a challenging yet fundamental process, Thru monitoring my students they whole class period. By monitoring Many positive outcomes will come to fruition.  It creates a positive learning experience, keeps students on task, helps them focus on outcomes, & makes for a more individual instruction, to name a few.

Ways to be a more effective student monitor are…….

• Move around the room
  • Move distractors out of reach, such as book bags, phones, ect…
  • Do the 20 second survey.
  • Give students the 2 minute time frame to settle in.
  • Move towards the distracted student.
  • Be sure to balance student attention to all in the class.
  • Understand student behavior, look for body language. Look for students who look to be inclusive & exclusive.
  • Look for silent students, & try to break the class down into smaller groups to encourage more inclusion. Get them to share their experiences. Get to know them.
  • With angry students, listen to them & show interest in them. Allow them to express their opinion. Always stay calm & rational .If there is a complaint, give them a deadline for a written complaint. Possible re-assess the situation.
  • Cheating students are just cheating themselves, however developing a rapport with them can help them not feel they must cheat. I have a series of T/F, Multiple choice, & short answer questions on my tests, this is shown to helps curb cheating.  
  • “Making the hard call”, for a student who should be considered to be removed from a class, one should include administration, & fully document all that has taken place to get to that point. Look for when the student is constantly being disruptive & is no longer learning in the class.

Allowing students to vent helps everyone communicate better and also allows the student to be heard.  This can have many good outcomes :) 

Listen, listen, and listen.  Ensure there are ground rules from the beginning that no one has the right to disrupt the learning of others in the class.  That the goal is to pass the national certification (NCLEX for nursing) and certain behaviors are NOT attractive in a nurse.  

This section provided great insight in how to manage and properly respond to different types of students.  It provided some excellent tips as well.

It is important to establish boundaries and clear expectations for behavior in the classroom and to ensure that students are engaged 

it was interesting to learn that while students are taking an exam dont walk around because it causes more stress, instead sit in the back of the classroom because it helps with catching cheaters 

jackie 

I like how this module discussed different personalities you may encounter as an instructor and some strategies to work with those students so they can still have a positive learning experience. 

Listen to and support students. Offer opportunites for group projects.

Everything needs balance

Great advice

Active learning environment promotes instruction effectively to the challenged students.

Sign In to comment