Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Basically this section reiterates to present the situation and get all the documentations possible when enncountering problem students.

It is important to build rapport with students and have clear expectations. 

give angry students space to express themself

It seems each class I've had has always had that one student with behavior problems. Them best way I have found to deal with the problem is just listen and after a while they will run out of things to say and will start to listen again.

Managing student behavior is as variable as each individual student.  Listening is of course a great first step to diffuse an angry student situation and should be used as often as necessary.  Documentation is very important as it may be needed if the behavior is not corrected and further steps are required to correct the problem.  Consistency and transparency should aleways be part of a successful set up.

Teaching is new for me and learning how to spot and deal differant tyes of students and cheating has been helpfull.  I will now be making it clear from the start on the rules and consequences if not followed ,also to keep fair and consistant .

Paying close attention to your students will allow you to recognize any problems within the classroom. By recognizing the problems ahead of time an Instructor is able to keep issues from developing into something more serious and or dangerous. This also helps develop good student/class management. 

I like the advice on holding students' attention, and for giving several smaller exams throughout the term rather than one final.

When managing a student's poor behavior having them engage in a task to lodge a complaint is helpful.  Have a policy in place for lodging complaints, have them write down the complaint. When they speak to you about the complaint you take notes.  I think these are good suggestions to allow the student to think critically about their complaint and calm them down.  Also, listen to what they are saying and ask for their idea of a resolution, that will make them feel heard and is a good starting point to moving toard a resolution.

I believe the biggest takeaway is to also look at ourselves. We must ask ourselves am I meeting the student's needs? There are many types of students, and we just learned they each require a different approach. If we use one cookie-cutter technique, we are doing an injustice. 

developing a rapport with your students is the best way to reduce the desire to chest in your class.

It is unfortunate loosing a student due to academic dishonesty, but definitely relieves some of the anxiety from the other students who witness it. It lets you reinforce your support to them that you want to promote a productive learning envirnment. You have to let them know that it's ok not to be an expert, but learning the material is what they need to strive for. Offering them reassurance that you are available to help them during and after class is encouraging. Then you put the ball in their court and become accountable for their own learning needs.

Reply to John Monsam's post:Yes I can understand how it is sometimes easy to slip into an emotional position when it comes to our students, because we tend to empathize with them after spending a certain amount of time with them. Sometimes they will come to you with confidential information, ask you for advice and so you become part of their lifeline inventory. It's definitely best to listen and remain objective, expecially when you know something personal about them. You may even be subject to experiencing an emotional outburst from one of them. At the end of the day, they rely on us; they trust us. They need us to be their rock sometimes, and being ablt to be objective is so important to the outcome of a situation like that. Thanks for the share, John.

We definitely have to be good listeners at the end of the day. They look to us for our experience and objectivity to help them accomplish their goals, as we already have something that they want.

If there is a disruptive student in the class there should be  counselation of the condict and ways of resolution. If there is no improvement final measures should be taken accoding to the institutions' code of conduct policy.

Its not a call of 'good kid' or 'bad kid'.  Monitoring is the effective way to prevent cheating.

I have learned not to judge an angry student. ask if there is problem and see how you can work with that student.

We will encounter many different types of students. The first thing is engage the student with communication and understanding no matter the issue may be. Create a plan for yourself and have the student create a plan for themselves on how to do better. Aalways as your colleges for advice and if need be involve the insitution or counseling center for help. 

Francine 

The most important information is to always listen to student;s complaints before making a judgement. Allow students to express their their minds, address the seriousness of cheddting. 

Students that disrupt the learning of others can be detrimental to the success of the other students in the class. Being able to help control this situation if it happens will help to put a stop to bad behavior. There are many skills and resources given to help with the situations is they arise. 

Sign In to comment