Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

listen to there concerns and let them vent

Cheaters are going to cheat! 

This module provided various methods and ideas for handling different types of students I encounter. I am excited about implementing some of the strategies for getting the 'silent' student talking in class.

I learned that being familiar with the institution's policies is very important especially when having to address situations with students.

Once again, I hear that getting to know the students and also reflecting on my approach to teaching and how I teach help students succeed.

Making sure consequences are followed through. But also allowing student to voice their concerns.

Again, this learning experience has given me a lot of important information that I can use in my teaching career.

I learned about the different type of student behaviors and how to deal with them accordingly

I know that documentation of behavior is important, especially when it is inappropriate but sometimes you think it's just a one time and it hits you in the face at the end of the term if you do not nip it right away. 

Removing destriptive student from class is hte best way to help other students learn better. In order to revome a student from class, admistration has to be involved. 

I feel that this has taught me to be able to look out for and potientially identify students who are looking to cheat

When disruption of the other students becomes apparent, then it is time for the disruptive student to go. Yes it is hard but sometimes instructors have totake that action.

The most prominent thing I learned is how to deal with angry students. This is a challenge, but I hope to impliment the process outlined, especially the documentation of from their complaints. I believe this piece of advice can help in diffusing situations and in improving rapport. Hopefully the student will comply and the hard call would not have to be made. 

Reply to David Wilson's post:Perhaps you can assign them to different groups with different topics for an assignments.

I am glad that dismissing students from class is presented as the absolute last result. Teachers must understand that every time a student is removed from the classroom, their likelihood of graduating from high school is reduced (this is even more true for students of color). With that in mind, it is the responsibility of the teacher to try everything they can to keep the student in class (I really liked the listening and notetaking as a way to diffuse a contentious situation). 

Know and strive to understand student roles and meet them where they are and with what they need. Recognize when barriers present themselves and deal with them proactively. DOn't approach every student the same way. 

I had 2 students in the same class they tried to constantly interrupted the class. I sent 1 student of them home to chill. Suddenly the other student stopped interrupting the class. Has anyone of you out there had the same scenario happening before?

Listening is important when dealing with angry students.

There are so many different types of students and different ways in which they learn and behave. if there are any issues, I think a good "blanket" rule that I learned is to genuinely listen. Try to hear and understand their point of view and go from there. 

Ambigious student behavior is the least favorite aspect of my job, but if handled correctly and in some cases have a can have a positive outcome for the instructor and student. At the end of the day we as instructors sometime have to walk in our student shoes to gain understanding of what is driving the negative behavior.

When talking with an angry student is a fine line between maintaining your position and allowing the student to express themselves. I believe if students feel heard then the partnership between instructor and student is healthier and they will no longer be angry/disruptive.

Sign In to comment