Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This section gave me the idea to use the technique onmoving the front row with the back row.

Nice to be knowledgable of the different teaching strategies.

It is always important to let students know how they need to follow directions in the classroom. Talking to a studnet privately instead in front of other studnets has worked, because I am able to hear them out and make sure we have a conversation. 

Walking around the class while lecturing is a good way to keep the students from sneaking peeks at their phones, or distracting themselves with other things. It also allows the teacher to quietly make encouraging remarks to show his concern/care for those students he suspects are not engaged.

This is good information. I must say having patience with the student that has comments for everything and always asking questions out of topic. I need to apply these stragedies to make my job less stressful in classroom with challenging students.

Very informative about how to deal with different student personality types, great ideas I'll be using them.

I learned from this module how to manage students that are inattentive. I learned that my physical presence correct easily redirt the inattentivness. 

I have had my share of Center Stage students and Apple Polishing students.  This lesson focus on some valuable points that I will uitlize when teaching my class.  For example the importance of being fair to all students and to make sure you are engaing the class as a whole.  I like the idea of appointing the Center Stage students as an Observer.

Some great ideas on Challenging Students and Center Stage students.  To avoid letting them dominate discussions. I call on several students to ensure everyone has an equal voice.  I have students who use their cell phones in class, doodle, or do work from other classes.  This is why in my Welcome message I list Housekeeping Rules.  That sets a clear expectation of behavior.

I do enjoy center stage students as they bring a differant percpective to the class. I have had a few innatentive students and yes 90% of the time they are not engaged with the material. I have had a small percetage of students with a learning disability and figit with things to help focus. i.e their phone. I try to replace the items with more school approved gadgets and it seem to help. 

I dont blame the student i blame myself . If they are on there phone, WHY?.  I usually go sit next to them and say aaa, whats up, i want to see. LOL , let them know im paying attention to them. But also quickly i have to retihink what im doing to reel them back in. 

I learned how to deal with different aged students, and to use the students own abilities to the advantage of the class. They may be talk loud, often, and not on topic. But you cab=n use them to get the class going and stay on top of where it is going. 

The challenging student are in the classroom but the most challenging students are on zoom. Keeping them attentive to the subject at hand and participating in class can be an extreme challenge. Most important keeping their cameras on is even a greater challenge. Speaking student individually outside the classroom and one-on-one as soon as the "opportunity" arises is key to dealing with challenging students. Letting them know its not personal when they are called after class usually gets the, I understand and apologize, resonse needed to more forward. Identify, acknowledge and move on. 

Reply to Amelia Robinson's post: Interactive student can also be used as mentors for challenging, inattentive, ready-to-quit students. In addition, involving admission reps as well as instructors, and DOE with opportunities student experience. I'm a firm believer it takes a village even in the classroom. 

Reply to jennifer randles's post:Using center-states students as mentors and tutors for the class is always helpful and helps difuse the sterotyping of "know it all" and also encourages the development of social skills that be put to good use in the classroom. 

When I have a student that is easily distracted, I ask them to assist me with small tasks in class. It helps keep them engaged

Great ideas on how to handle difficult students. I may have to try some of these strategies.

I always appreciate the students who want to engage and learn more, however, like the video stated, it can take from other students' learning. Including everyone is a huge part of how I teach. When I see students are being inattentive that's when I make sure they know that I see their inattention.

I learned strategies on how to manage adult learners who are inattentive. I also learned other strategies to manage students who always give excuses.

I learned that there is going to be a multitute of student "distractors" and to sucessfully deal with them will take a systematic approach.  Not all of the types of students are bad.  They just need an energy redirector.

Sign In to comment