Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The group idea seems something i am familiar with and comfortable to use.

give students confidence by allowing them to talk infront of the class. 

I have all types of students some love to work with other students. I also have some who really enjoy working on there own.  I also enjoy doing discussion and group activities to keep everyone engaged

The throughout description of the type of students 

We always have some challenge students in the classroom and these techniques are great to put them in practice.

In this topic I learned how to deal with students who may have a harder time focusing, sharing the classroom as well well staying on track. As well as undertstanding different behaviours, helping students take accountability for their behavior without making a scene, or making them feel badly.

I think now that my program is blended, it is hard for them to engage with each other through Canvas. So I need to work a little harder to get them to interact with each other, but when they are in lab, they engage great with each other.

Preparation on how to deal with a diverse group of students and their behaviors.

1 have learned that when dealing with these types of students you need to lesrn interesting ways in which to engage them in the class.

I have delt with students like this and what i do is walk over to the student and ask them a question on the topic i was just going over, usualy that triggers them into being more active in class. 

each student will have a different personality and it's our job to notice this and find the right teaching method to help them learn.

Great ideas!!! I love the 5 colored approach. Definately going to try this with my students!

we are all adults here, and we all have cell phones, my policy is that as long as they are not a distraction i dont particularly care. at the same time theres a big difference between checking/silencing a call or text and browsing/wasting time. prolonged cell phone use must be taken out of the classroom

Yes, these strategies are each very helpful for the different types of behaviors that come across me. I think the having them prove their claims when they have an excuse has gotten them to perform the work in future assignments rather than try come to me empty handed.

always have time for your students

I learned the different types of students that we have every day in our classes, I will use the minute papers and the seating chart.

Being mindful to reflect how you, the instructor, may be coming off to a student and potential negative impressions

Keep all students engaged at all times and try not to be a broken record. As I have always been told change is the only constant in life and you have to learn how to adapt to it day by day.

One strategy I like to use is to call on a student then ask a question. For example, I might say, "Stacy, can you explain ...." This allows the question to be directed at an individual student rather than have the Center Stage student to take over. This gives me the control over the class and gives other students a chance to participate. 

This section has taught new strategies for engaging students.  I think the talking allottment by cards is intersting.  I wonder if it would not only help the talkative students monitor their contribution though would it also encourge the none participative students to use their cards?  It could potentialy help the instructor with a visual que on who to engage.

Sign In to comment