Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I had a fellow instructor tell me once don't let the students walk all over you because they will if you let them. I think the more specific you can get with the syllabus and directions on assignments the less they will be able to get away with trying to get points for a late assignments. I liked the many ways we can inform students of how to complete assignments so they will be successful.

It is important to establish positive environment in the classroom in the first day of classes. And also the classroom is a safe place for everyone to grow - Cognitive, Social and, Emotional, thus providing the students with activities that will foster their growth. By introducing the syllabus, students will also learn how they are graded and evaluated.

Talking to  students while taking into consideration the different ways they think, work, and function is reassuring to students, thereby reducing the stress they may be feeling. Being realistic and fair while also providing reasonable explanations for actions is most helpful.In other words, consider how I would wish to be treated and apply tha

I enjoyed the solid outlines and the late assignment policies the best overall. The presentation also capitalized on the different methods of why the adult student are in the program. I am loving the expectations part as well. I think this is a great approach to breaking the ice and assuring students understand and follow policies.

This module emphasized for me the two most important things to address on the first day of the course: starting with an icebreaker activity to address social skills immediately and improve comfort levels, as well as decrease first-day anxiety, and clearly reviewing the syllabus so students can grasp what the expectations and requirements are.  Through this process, I want to bear in mind the WIIFM Model, and clearly state the benefits to the students of taking the class, so I can get buy-in right from the start, as well.

I like the "ice Breaker" idea. I like to start the class off by introducing everyone and then trying to remember everyone's name. Its a fun "ice breaker".  The deadlines are very important and taking points off for late work is a very good concept.

I think setting your expectations at the beggining of the year are important. Make sure you are clear and consicise. I always make my students bring their sylabus signed by themselves and a gaurdian so that we are all on the same page. Then it holds them accoutnable. 

The "real world" is replete with performance expectations, deadlines, etc. Discipline in learning is vital for future success and it is pleasing to  see that this is enforced ion this course.

Syllabus is very important hand out in the beginning of the course. The students must read and acknowledge that they read the syllabus for important assignment deadline, grading, policy and more. 

Remember all due dates, be available for my students, how to create a syllabus

Syllabus quiz is a great way to make sure they know all the key points that you need then to understand.

I have learned the importance of icebreakers in the begining of class and to post in several ways (Blackboard, syllabus, and verbal) for due dates so the students will be able to keep track. 

Introductions and ice breakers can really get the ball going. Setting multiple reminders for due dates on the remind app allows me to stay in touch with them too. I learned in this course to use teamwork approach more into consideration for more class engagement.  

Dana Redmond

There is empowerement for the students if you make sure you clearly outline how they will be graded, course assignments, and learning objectives. It can be imortant to have an "ice breaker" session at the first class meeting to allow the students to feel comfortable with you, and their fellow classmates. Being a well rounded instructor by showing your knowledge of the subject, professional and personal experiences, and that you have a true passion for what you are teaching will guide the students towards success.

Ive learned that ice breakers are important. I also like hearing about the students point of views.

It is important to have open communication with students and for them to know your expectations as well as how this course fits into the career they are working towards.  I will be updating my syllabus so what is important stands out!

There is a difference between expectations and requirements. 
Ice breakers are helpful because they get the students talking and interacting with each other. Ice breakers also help students relaxand feel more comfortable.

One of the most common reasons for not turning in an assignment on time is not knowing when it is due.  In addition to the syallabus, verbal reminders are essential. 

A class that assists each other is a winner in nursing school. I assign projects and work to be done to several different groups. I also make sure that the groups get shuffled for the next project so the participants' change. That way students get to know more classmates. I encourage study groups on teams or outside of class. This creates independence and interdependence. Along with a syllabus, I also post a lesson plan that contains all assignments and the dates they are due. And how much their grade will be decreased when an assignment is late.  

Be present and show empathy and connection. 

Sign In to comment