Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have learned to be very specific with expectations of assignment due dates and times, with applying consistent consequences to late assignments. My wheels are spinning to create and apply new learning strategies to incorporate group learning and mingling. I also have learned from this module to be very clear and specific in my syllabus, gearing toward how my course will help them learn skills and knowledge applicable to their intended job/career.

I've learned that it is vital to students success to keep them informed by using the syllabus and class calendar to ensure they have all the vital information to get the very most out of the class.  By keeping them in the know it helps them and you at the same time.  include in the syllabus a policy on late/missed assignments.  Ice breakers are great tool to use, such as a psychomotor activity.

Lead by example and set expectations and stick to them.

I am a first time instructor, I teach clinical right now and would like to eventually teach in a classroom.  This course has some great ideas.

Be clear when explaining the syllabus and expectations. 

I have learned how to manage late assignments and how to get a soul arbitrator of what determines points for late and what is acceptable I've also learned that by establishing a late assignment scoring system upfront that helps illuminate any questions about late assignments and what the final grade will be

Ilearned in this course ask the students the obejctives of the courses and make them aware the syllubus. so that that they have goal to complete the course'

Making an "appealing" syllabus has always been my intent, but I plan to do a better job next year. Starting the year off with icebreakers is so much fun. The students normally open up and participate and become more relaxed for my class. I always work with students who miss assignments...I want everyone to succeed.

Students need to know that they are being set up for success in the course. By doing the recommended activities recommended in this course, students will have a clear understanding of what to expect and know there is a clear path to earning a high grade in the course if they do their part.

The syllabus can set the tone for student success and ensure students are comfortable with the class from the first day. A complete and well-formed syllabus makes clear the objectives, requirements and expectations, eliminating some anxiety for students. They also learn the course requirements and expectations, and how their learning will be assessed. Objectives stated in the syllabus provide a sense of relevance to students, and including course (or campus) policies on grading and assignments makes students partially responsible for their own success.

Ice breakers. Posive effective engagements with studnets. Explain expectations, assignments and due dates. Be interacive. 

After explaining about the syllabus, the grading policy, and how the class will be taught, the most important thing for me is that the students stay involved throughout the semester in the class and that they do so in a responsible way and at the same time feel less anxious and more relaxed and for that the ice breaker is a very productive technique as well as group work.

I really like the "paper airplane" ice breaker!!  I'm going to use it!!!!

I have been reminded that students need to know what is in it for them. My class is one that is fun, and most students like to join because they are able to cook,  however, many don't take the class seriously. I need to make sure they know what they are getting out of taking my course. Make sure all due dates are clearly given in the syllabus and so are course expectations. 

I have used ice breakers both in education and in my field of work.  I feel that everyone feels a little more relaxed after we did one. I would let a student pick one so it changes on a daily basis and you never knew what question it would be which made it more fun.  I think the course syllabus is vital so everyone knows what is expected from them from the first day and what we are offering our students.

Setting the stage begins even before the first day of class, as expectations should already be decided and thought upon. When students enter the classroom, these expectations should be given to them in an easily disseminated fashion that takes into account how they will perceive their class. 

I love what she said:  It's our job to make 'the student' sound better and better.  If we do that they will want to share.  Make them feel like their answer, right or wrong, is important to the process.  I've always learn more fixing mistakes than by memorizing answers.

reminders for due dates are key as this often comes up as a reason:  I forgot the date it was due

In "Setting the Stage for Success" module, I learned that it is important to be clear on your expectations.  As instructors, we should ensure students have a good and clear understanding of the syllabus, and what we instructors are expecting from each assignment and exam.

Being upfront about the classroom expectations and rules, adding the WIFM, and icebreakers are all great tips on how to set the tone for the beginning of the ysemster. 

Sign In to comment