Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It's important to establish rapport with students by showing respect and building trust.

Story telling is a great way to break up insturciotnal material that can become boring!

I love the REFOCUS accronym:  Recognize, Empower, Focus, Objectivize, Commit, Unburden and Surprise.

I also love that telling stories can be an effective teaching/learning activity in addition to the simulated crisis.  You could divide the class and have 1 side do one thing, and  the other side do another thing and speculate on the outcomes.  

This section taught me how I can engage students more into lectures time like sharing stories that relate to the topic being discussed.

Simulate a crisis? Setting high expectations can be motivating if directed with focus.

important to keep students engaged and yourself as well... important to notice when the method being used is not working for some and to change it up in order to meet everyone's needs and make sure they are learning the material

The REFOCUS model seems helpful in instances where it feels that your teaching objectives are falling out of reach. 

I think it is important to remember how your verbal and nonverbal communication can affect the students. Often you don't think about the nonverbal communication, so I will focus more on that in the future. 

Personalized instruction helps to engage all students. Building rapport and getting to know students helps you to find ways to personalize instruction.

Engaging students that seem to be lacking focus or getting bored is vital to their success

Learnactivity allows students to learn new informtion, knowledge & skills to move from novice to expert levels of confidence. Variety keeps the class alive! Keeping materials; Active- students participate and Move- engages progress. Cognitive and tactile learning experiences create retention of material creating a working memory skill, engagment of mind and body. Reducing anxiety of course fears of failure;  persception shifts to emphaize increased growth. The use of 3x5 cards asking students to write down their assessment of the assignment/class time spent together that day. Works two-fold; enchancing their memory skills and having instructor improving instructional skills. Therefore, keeping class refoucused empowered, focused, maintaining objectives, reinforcing commitment, unburdening the student with the fear of defeat and the gift of surprise. Overall, enhancing the attention span as much as possible even though, the studies state this span is only 10-15 minutes; enlightening your presentation with change, variety and even surprise can hold the attention of the restless mind.

Doris R. Owens

I find that evaluations are important because the true feelings of the student is brought out and these areas can be addressed in advance. l

Doris R Owens

Even though students are leaning on line, keep them engaged and find some typel of student participation is good and keeps them with a desire to be in class. 

I appreciated that this chapter discussed the realities of teaching which can include burnout. It was helpful that it included helpful techniques to get through the burnout. 

Being sure to be mindful of the midsemester slump in drive to complete assignments is a good reminder. Offering variety in assignments through a menu or more active engagement in the classroom will keep keep them moving toward their goal.

Be creative.

How to engage different learners and how to manage your own shortcomings in the education environment. 

keep studets motivated

I think it's helpful to share stories and personal experinces with students to help them remember things.

Tell stories to keep students engaged. They may have information/situation to offer to expand on ideas/concepts. Make sure learning objective are measurable, if student can see their progress it will inspire their commitment to learn.

Sign In to comment