I never thought about planning the questions I should ask.
Asking individual students is something I have done but upon listening to this course work, I feel like I do not provide them with enough space to come up with the answer independently. I go to asking them more questions too quickly. I will definitely slow myself down.
When asking questions to be sure to give efficient time for answers.
As I primarily teach clinicals, I agree that having prepared questions and having each student participate in some way is a great way to gauge their understanding of the material.
Having a prepared set of questions for students is all in your preperation. You should always be prepared for questioning so that you don't have to shuffle through and figure out while going through the material.
I have never mapped out how questions can help students guide them to a bigger picture of a concept. I am going to try doing this in the upcoming semester.
This module emphasized that effective questioning is essential for promoting higher-level thinking and assessing understanding. I plan to create purposeful questions aligned with Bloom’s Taxonomy and allow time for thoughtful responses. I’ll also use follow-ups to guide learning and avoid vague prompts like “Any questions?”
Asking students to post questions anonymously on Mentimeter or another type of polling app avoids the question "are there any questions". I sprinkle this in very infrequently as I want to encourage dialogue in class rather than through their phones.
Making sure you give the students time to come up with a good well formulated answer is key to asking questions.
I learned that it is important to ask students questions while allowing them to critically think a response.
What might happen if...? I can definitely use that for some of my content.
Posing questions to students requires appropriate wait time and guidance.
This section was a repeat of ED114 Questioning in the Classroom.
Creating questions derived from course material and delivering them in an engaging manner can inspire students and foster critical thinking. Thoughtfully designed questions steer students towards finding the answers independently.
I found the guidelines for effective questioning to be a really great tool. It's not necessarily something I've thought about before and will have to pay more attention to in the future.
After asking a student a planned question silence and let the student formulate an answer, also if they don't get the answer correctly guide the student with a follow up question trying to get them to the correct answer.
Within this section, the last three "don't ask' was perfect. As instructors we are tempted to say or ask, Any questions, Does everyone understand, or Does that make sense. These type of questions have been used in classrooms for decade, and still continue to be used. Personally, I do not think it is a bad idea to ask at least of of these.
There are a variety of options for student answers, the instructor can probe or deflect etc to build on an answer that doesn't quite make the mark. Good questions are often planned and strategies for encouraging struggling students practices in the question-answer public forum.
Taking time to set up a series of questions can help students to answer questions in a better way of understanding
Formulating questions based on course content and presenting them in an engaging way can motivate students and encourage deeper thinking. Well-crafted questions help guide students toward discovering the answers on their own.