Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I like asking questions.  I want to have students who don't always answer questions allow them the opportunity to answer so that they can be more engaged.

Comment on SETH SORONNADI's post: This can take several semesters to anticipate the questions however. 

Allowing time after asking a question is something that I personally have to work on. I like to use a raise of hands and like it says repeat the correct answer loudly to the class so everyone can hear. The follow up questions is something I need to personally work on as well as a new teacher. Statements like "any questions?" Or "does that make sense?" Makes it seem like you as an instructor are unsure of yourself.

I learned to prep better by adding questions into my lessons to keep students engaged and interactive.

Open-ended questions that allow students to think critically are often better than those that require a simple declarative response.

Instructors need to utilize ways to engage students and keep their attention during lectures. It is best to give students time to process a question and formulate their answer. 

During a questioning activity ask the struggling student question that will help the student answer the question correctly. 

The quality of questions is important for student understanding and helps to eliminate any misunderstanding of the content.

The way a question is formulated can help students stay engaged.

It is important to ask good questions directed at the class, rather than a general announcement asking if anyone has questions. These questions should be thought provoking, and inspire more questions after. As the instructor, I should come to class prepared with these questions for the end of my lecture.

It was very helpful to learn the qualities of good questioning.  I am guilty of asking "does that make sense" and "any questions" at the end of class/lab and have been left with blank stares that do not tell me that they have all mastered the objectives or met the outcomes.  I do now see that many that don't really understand may say they do to avoid being exposed.  I will also start directing questions to specific students and not offering a blanket question to the entire class where the overachievers often dominate.  

A few key takeaways from this module that I found interesting and easily applicable were how to get students to listen to each other, how to ask effective questions and the importance of developing well-worded questions that students need to know. 
When struggling with students who don't seem to listen to their peers when answering questions, as an instructor, you can ask other students to "paraphrase or respond to their classmates." by doing this, you are more likely to keep the student's attention and engagement. 
To ensure instructors are asking "good questions," we should develop the questions for lectures ahead of time, and they should be planned and directed to individual students, followed by silence; answers should be repeated and reinforced, additional questions should follow, and questions should be above the recall level.
I already participate in these practices but plan to reevaluate my process.

I have learned to avoid blank questions.  Also, that having properly planned questions facilitate learning. 

Planning questions not only prior to starting the lecture portion of class but throughout-facilitating discussion that encourages critical thinking on the part of the student not just memorizing facts and figures.  Also, I learned I am guilty of asking there are any questions at the end of lecture which I will immediately stop. 

I make a point to ask my students one on one questions as I'm checking their lab projects, reviewing what knowledge and skills have been used to successfully complete the lab assignment. This has truly helped me gauge the true level of understanding that the student has concerning what we are working on. This module was very helpful in helping me to think about different ways to engauge my students through using more questions during our lecture class times to better help them truly grasp the material that is being presented.

From the module on planning effective questions, I’ve learned the importance of crafting questions that engage students, promote critical thinking, and assess understanding. Key takeaways include:

1.    Clarity and Purpose: Questions should be clear, concise, and have a specific purpose, whether it’s to assess prior knowledge, provoke thought, or check for understanding.
    2.    Differentiation: Questions should be tailored to students’ abilities and backgrounds, allowing for differentiation to meet the needs of all learners.
    3.    Higher-Order Thinking: Encouraging questions that require higher-order thinking, such as analysis, synthesis, and evaluation, can deepen understanding and promote critical thinking skills.
    4.    Wait Time: Allowing sufficient wait time after asking a question gives students the opportunity to think and formulate their responses, leading to more thoughtful answers.
    5.    Feedback: Questions can also be used to provide feedback to students, guiding them towards the correct answer or helping them to rethink their approach.

I intend to apply these principles by carefully planning and phrasing questions in my lessons to ensure they are engaging, thought-provoking, and aligned with the learning objectives. I will also incorporate more opportunities for student-led questioning and discussions to further promote critical thinking and engagement in my classroom.

Bloom's was a great insight to all the ways a student should be able to answer questions about a topic. 

For teachers to be effective they need to ask a variety of questions and at multiple levels.

I will have my questions planned out for my students, and allow them the time needed to answer the question and restate the question in a similar manner but in simpler terms where they can understand.

Preparing questions before class that are well thought out and cover course competencies is crucial. Also, being able to assist students to the correct answer after they have answered incorrectly with leading questions is an important skill to have.

Sign In to comment