Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Create lecture notes and organize your lectures into shorter 10-15 minute time frames. 

Effective planning and prior preparation of content to be taught results in beneficial teaching as well as learning. 

Be prepared, practice ahead of time, and critique yourself after any lecture to learn where improvement is needed.  I enjoyed the Harvard professor who spoke about the 3 most impt things for students: learn the content, challenge your assumptions, and learn something about yourself:)

I had just listened  to a TED talk so it was interesting  because then I read "We would all benefit from learning how TED talks are crafted".    This is useful because the primary goal is to change us, through education, and not primarily via edutainment.  If we want students to learn they only learn in the first 18 mins.

I will ensure to vary the delivery of learning. Students have different learning styles.

Switch up your teaching styles and regularly assess how your students are responding to you.

Make teaching exciting, creative, and passionate. Think of how you would want information taught and implement those strategies into the lesson. 

Lecture is still an effective way to communicate but try to vary your class.

Plan lesson in 5-7 short periods, using variety of learning styles.

It is important to develop a rapport with students and vary instructional styles during class, It is also important to prepare demonstrations before class and limit the steps. Also, the attention span of adults is only about 10-15 mins so try to keep lectures brief and engaging.

practice demonstrations first!

Hit the lecture as many different ways as possible so that you can as there are many different students in the class that learn in many different ways.

The varying lecture styles was a helpful reminder for me. I do not lecture often but when I do I could use a different approach. 

it is important to use a variety of teaching methods and be well balanced to have students consistenely engaged

This module suggests practicing demonstrations or special teaching activities before class. I love the idea that, even as experienced educators, we should always continue practicing. Just as the best musicians practice decades into their craft, there are always areas to improve, add efficiency, and grow as a teacher. I do hope to continue practicing and improving my craft for years to come.

Different delivery options help with students learning by keeping the students interested and engaged in learning. Students like variety to help keep them focused.

Preparation is important for every single class, even if you've taught that particular class 100 times.  You have to be ready for questions that you've never been asked before, and new classroom situations.  Every class should be unique, even though the same content is being covered.

It would be nice to have a canvas area where we can  share different modalities we use to teach. Like ted talks, high fidelity patient simulators, etc.

Promoting variety in presenting knowledge, promotes interest and engagement.

Sign In to comment