Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Varying the teaching style, adult attention span of 15-18 minutes, we remember about 25% of what we hear and retain about 40% of what we read were all helpful tips. 

The importance of recognizing people are individuals and need to learn in different formats. These learning styles need to vary throughout your course. 

Teaching styles are different and we have to learn to utilize different methods of organizing and presenting class content. We also should select appropriate content delivery options. Once we recognize categories of learning styles. We can then Identify different lecture formats and select lecture format appropriate for class being taught.
Doing so involve us to plan ways to use demonstrations to deliver content.

From this module, I have learned the importance of thoroughly preparing for each lecture and ensuring that I incorporate variety to keep the students actively and meaningfully engaged.

Variety in delivery helps meet all different styles of learning

Instructional Delivery Assessment:

This module has a myriad of concepts such as Creating Lesson Plans, addressing the Three ways of learning according to Harvard Business Publishing, and the explanation of Why are some instructors very good at lecturing (amongst a multitude of other ideas)?

Creating Lesson Plans of great detail permits me to be prepared for the lecture with flexibility. Mainly as the module expresses it aids in remaining focused. The students are greeted by name as they login to our virtual classroom. My practice is to color coordinate my lesson plans in a chart formatted template. Usually, there are bullet lists of objectives. I designate a specific list of time for questions. Thereafter, I ask students to email me if they are still confused or schedule to meet me one-on-one for time management of the classroom. Once the Announcements Objectives, and Question & Answer segment has concluded I share the outline on the screen to provide an overview of our schedule. Then, we digress with an icebreaker or two.

I concur mini lectures are the best approach in order to keep student's attention. Recently, I began to divide my lecture into two lectures to have enough time for engaging discussions and videos when applicable. Some students are visual learners while others are auditory. Students are always given the opportunity to share their screen for clarity as some students are tactile learners.

It was intriguing to be enlightened by a lecturer of Harvard Business Publishing who provided three main styles of learning:

1. Students that absorb the content.

2. Students that make assumptions. The role of the instructor is to create a safe place for the students to push their assumptions

to launch a discussion.

3. Self-Motivation (students learn something about him/herself).

The instructor that pushes students to self-reflect and welcome their ideas to the lecture is considered a good lecturer like a chameleon adapting to various styles to accommodate all learners. 

I like the idea of breaking up the lectures into small 15-minute mini lectures to hold student attention and promote better retention.

Giving students the outline of what will be taught in class, and showing the fair standards for testing will help them get past their nervousness 

Be able to adapt to the students within the school setting, being able to switch up the way that the material is being taught, learned, and understood by each student may vary by mileage. Making sure that if you are giving any type of demonstration that the material required is available and on hand, also that it works. Plan for mistakes and issues and being able to recover quickly from these issues is also key.

Be prepared for the class or course before it is presented. Also, be sure to routinely vary the learning styles you teach to.

develop rapport to help students connect with content

Adult attention span 15-18 minutes

Vary delivery to address as many learning styles as possible

Develop and delivery course content in as many varied learning styles as able.

Everyone does not learn the same. It is important to make sure you are using different teaching styles. 

I learned when developing and delivering lesson plans, I need to be mindful of the ways in which my students are more apt to retain information and cater to those learning styles to the best of my ability.  

Ensure to incorporate multiple content delivery methods in order to accommodate different learning styles of students

I really like the idea of passing out note cards to students and having everyone write down their questions during, then collecting and reading at the end. I wish my instructors did that!

I need to incorporate varying learning styles throughout the lecture to ensure the success of all the students.

Develop lesson plans incorporating different styles of teaching.  prepare prior to the demonstration or lab work.

Small bites (shorter, 10-15 lectures), practice ahead of time, and occasionally tape yourself to see how you're really presenting when you teach.

Have a variety of teaching techniques. Start class in a dramatic and enticing way to grab their attention. Get to class early to read the vibe of your class.

Sign In to comment