Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lecture notes keeps you focused on how to prepare for each class session and adults retain 5-7 things.  

Each student learns in an unique way and by making your lessons plans variable in learning style you can get youri nformation across better. Preparing is the key to successful learning.

Barbara McDuffie

Practice makes perfect, no matter how could you think you are.

Average attention span of adults is 15-18 minutes, we retain 25% of what we hear, 40% of what we read, and listen 4x faster than we speak. Combining different methods of learning will keep students focused and interested on the lecture being presented.

As a professor I should make the class enjoyable and make sure the learning process is percolating to the students.

Reduce your class to several 15 minutes mini lectures and in between them have activities that will bring the students to the attention of the subject matter and what they have learned in the class.

use media support for your lectures, it makes classes more atractive.

Research, plan. practice, demonstrate the topic or lecture and then observe the students as they practice, absorb the info and demonstrate the topic.  great receipe for Edutainment.

Make sure the demo materials are ready so the students stay focused and don't lose interest.  Put variety in the lesson so it is not all lecture in one class period.

I found the section on demonstrations really interesting because I don't do demos and labs in my writing classes, but we do some class activities as procedures.  Getting students engaged with one another about the content leads to better, deeper learning, and students reflect on the content more.  Anyway, I need to remember, from this module, to keep steps in our procedures to 5-7 step limits.  One way to do this is to break an activity across two class periods.  That way, students aren't overwhelmed.  They've had time to reflect, as have I .  So, on day two, I can also review before we proceed and make sure I cover any info missed the previous day.

The use of mini-lectures is an interesting concept that I hadn't thought of before. 

I also neeed to start using more lesson plans and giving more active demonstartions inm yclass (5-7 steps max) 

Pushing students to think about the content and how it applies is more benefical then just presenting content.

Reply to Laura Hogins's post:

This is great advice. Short bursts to address multiple styles. 

I totally agree that different needs of the students learning wise, makes the trenches become creative on how you should delivery the material. I also believe that the course content has to have some rigor in it, otherwise it will be a boring and lame class for all who take it, except the very uneducated students.

Use all of the forms of lecture in order to keep students engages and thinking.

this module took the previous modules and rolled them up into a cohesive strategy to teaching. 

This is a great module about lerning about myself an effective teaching strategy to keep my students engage.

I learn the importance to keep the lectures short due to the brain learning spam is 15 to 18 minutes effective, and to apply differect lerning styles through my lesson. I will apply this tecniques my classroom. 

It is important to construct a good lesson plan while keeping in mind the different learning stlyes of adult learners as well as things to work around such as attention span of <18 minutes and only being able to retain ~25% of what we hear. 

In the Covid-19 "era" I had to reevaluate everything to be accessible and engaging and exciting all over again as I could not be movong around. So this was good to get my brain cells rejuvenated!!

Having a variety of ways to teach what you want students to learn is important because everyone learns differently. Also it is important to chunk you lessons into about 15 minute sections so students absorb  the information better so you do not lose they attention. 

learn in 3 basic ways: trial/error, observation and doing

Sign In to comment