Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

So many different methods of instructing!  I had no idea our attention span is only 15-18 minutes, and demonstration only 5-7 steps.  Definitely need to vary teaching modalities throughout the classroom time.  Thank you for recommending "The Compelling Communicator" by Tim Pollard.  I will definitely purchase that book.  I personally like the idea of starting the lecture session with case studies.

BY guiding students through an assignment, its important they know what is ecpected of them. 

I liked the idea of creating cue cards to keep lecture points in order. I will try implementing that in addition to my usual powerpoint presentations. 

Effective classes are well-prepared, paced to keep students engaged and include variety to target different learning styles. Reflection after class and notes to help improve the class next time helps to develop teaching skills for continuous improvement. I've found that asking the students for feedback about what worked well and for suggestions for improvement helps them feel heared and they've shared many great ideas.

Alternate between lecture/group activities/demonstration/and return demonstration or practice time for the student.  

Be prepared! totally makes sense. 

I will vary content delivery methods and keep lectures brief and interactive.

The lesson plan ensures that you stay focused on how to prepare for your class sessions, content and all the materials you need for your instructional delivery.

Mini-lectures are a successful way to keep students engaged-15-18 minutes is most adults attention-span

Incorporate in planning the course olecture - and cover Multi ways of learning styles

Every student learns in a different way, adapting your teaching plan to help all students learn is important for success

Breaking up information helps with student success and engagement.

Create a lesson plan based on the variable level of knowledge that the class may have....and be flexible to change where and when needed.

Decide what teaching works best for you such as I pads, demonstration etc. Try to do small increments of 10-25 minutes of lecture . 

Jackie 

The point that resonated most with me was remembing the attention span of people and considering adjusting your teaching to that. I think when I deliver content I will try and teach to a point for about 15 minutes. 

Utlizing mutiple approaches in demonstrations and lectures will ensure to gain the attention and meet learning styles of the majority of the students. Only using one method for both, has its positives but for the ever-changing student, at some point you will lose the engagement of the student. Mutiple approaches in the arsenal is always a plus

Incorporate different teaching styles.

Recording lectue on regular basis and reviewing can help identify areas for improvement.

practice before class

Limiting a demonstration to 5-7 steps sounds like another application of the magical rule of 7 aka requisite parsimony, or perhaps I ljust like the catchy phrase.

Sign In to comment