Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is important to take time to introduce yourself and allow your students to introduce themselves, take time to review the syllabus, class rules up front

Get to know your class and build rapport. 

Note cards are a good idea. Course outline with questions.

I once had A Respiratory Instructor tell me... always learn names, means you respect someone enough to care. If you don't show respect, you will not receive any. Also, Make things seem more personable for each student. Always attempt to engage your students in the class. 

with new students coming set the tone with a great first impression and try to make the classroom feel warm and welcoming. As an instructor, give a brief history about yourself so students can have a better sense of what you are about on a personal level. Engage students and get to know them personally by name recognition,  appearance as well as by means of name tenting. Spend the first day explaining, course, syllabus and expectations and the other half by getting to know each other with an open discussion, e.g., tell me about yourself, etc.

The impact the first encounter/class can have on students, and how to make students feel comfortable in the classroom

I will Use the 3 M's going forward.

Help learners by developing an inviting learning environment with introductions to each other and peers 

Comment on Erica Hrudowsky's post:

Set a tone and decrease the student's anxiety make the students feel important and see that you are interested in their ability to learn. 

I learned that it is important to set the tone and expectations for the course so the students are clear about what is expected and how they will be graded.

Get to know your students

It is not only important to greet students and get to know them, but to also give them expectations for the course

It is important to get to know your students, so they feel comfortable in your classroom.

Develop a list of what to do and achieve on first day of class, introduce self and encourage students to introduce themselves, make everyone feel a sense of inculsion in the class, give an overview of what the course is all about, the expectations foor students, provide sylabuus and course outline. Start to to learn the students' names and put a face to the names.

I learned that it is very important to learn the students names and a little about them. Also, it is important to share some information about yourself. This can put the students as ease and let them know you care.

First impressions are lasting impressions.  Once again, it goes hand in hand with professionalism when you are learn your student's names and show them how you care.

A good icebreaker is simply introductions from the instructor and the student. Take a few minutes at the beginning of the class to over rules and regulations of the institution along with introductions

It is important to build a relationship with your students to ensure they know you are approachable and available to.

I have learned that greeting students at the door and memorizing names quickly is important. I intend to use ice breakers to get to know my students. 

Sign In to comment