Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning the two parts of instructional style include: your personality and how you project yourself to students and the style you use to work with small groups, in demonstration settings, and for lectures. 

Instructor Roles: Model. Manage. Motivate.

The Five C's were a huge takeaway. Being credible, candid, compassionate, committed and clear/concise is a great summary of instructor expectancy. 

Instructor Competency: Technical. Professional. Personal. 

A key ingredient to student success is in the instructor's ability to establish rapport. In the short clip from the Harvard discussion, he mentioned to not try and convince the students that you're the smartest in the room, and to instead, convince them that you love the subject and that you love them! I thought that was so profound. Establishing an enviornment of mutual respect and personal support are vital factors to success as well. It's clearly the relationship that must be in the forefront of the classroom. An instructor who hosted a TEDTalk conference quoted a philosopher who said, students don't learn from instructors they don't like. 

As leader you should be organized, know your material you are going to cover. Be confident and set a example.

Loved the 5c's.

As a new instructor I am learning a lot. Staying professional while still being human. Lead by example. Don't assume you are the smartest in the class. Use professional development classes and colleagues. It's ok to make mistakes just move on and don't dwell. 

Make sure you stay current and up to date in your specific field , as with medical  things change all the time .

Know your content have confidence don't try to show that you are smart just convince the students you love the subjecy and you love them

Do not act like you are without a doubt the smartest person in the room.

I really enjoyed this model. professionalism is something we all know, but it is easy to become comfortable. Humans adapt to their surroundings. We must be certain that we do not become "chameleons". We are role models for our students. We must remember the five C's: credible, candid, compassionate, committed, and clear.  We should dress the part, be on time, be confident, and be a leader. 

Dress professionally and act confident

ED 101 has forced me to reflect on the importance of developing and maintaining a professional development plan. Professional development plans are important because instructors need to be proficient in a wide variety of areas such as learning theory, curriculum development and human resource management. Without such a plan it is very difficult for professors to learn new information and techniques to continually improve and best serve their students. 

I learn that I must remain a professional at all times. To always lead by examples and to always remember to "Always be yourself".

develope a persoanl improvement plan with realistic goals and timelines

Instructor is a role model for students. Instructor will inspire students all aspects of their learning

Be a professional at all times by establishing relationship and mutual respect to learners and by being a role model.

-You can work your personality into your teaching style-as long as it remains appropriate and you do not become a "pal".

-Be on time, be excited, be knowledgeable about your subject!

That each instructor/teacher needs to find their "style" and it won't always be like everyone elses.  As long as it fits into the schools instructional methods and needs.  

Learn from my mistakes and move on. Also, always frind resources to help improve my teaching skills through the college.

How important it is to find your own teaching style that is effective within the classroom and motivates the students to want to learn. 

Different instructional styles will fit different instructional models. Learn your strengths and work on professional development of your weaknesses

You have to balance being professional and competant with making what you're teaching interesting for the student and not just read from a book.

Sign In to comment