Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Professional competence is taking advantage of the resources of knowledge available to you within or outside of your institution.  This not only applies to the instructor, but a plan should be developed for sharing information with students to encourage their career growth as well.  

As an instructor, it is important to convey your professional and technical competence while meeting learning objectives.

I learned to educate adult learners you must maintain professionalism and that learning is the most important part of education. Get out of the box and keep studnet success at the forefront of your mind. It is not about you ( the instructor) but rather about what you bring to the table. 

Do not act like you are the smartest in the classroom becasue there will always be someone who is smarter

Having plans to implement as a model of professionalism, manager of the class, and motivator of my students are important. 

Lead the students by example. Also take the time to inprove your own instructional skills

This is not just about the students, but how we treat and train the students. 

Another aspect is my professinal developement

Effective teaching is "personal" with the ability to project your personality to create relationships with your students to engage them in further learning opportunities. For example, I am transparent and enjoy developing personal life testimonies into my lectures and engage students in my lessons. 

Instructors should be proficient in human resource management and develop areas of improvement through training and resources. Having a plan for professional development ahead of time (proactive v reactive). 

Focus teaching strategies on a student-centered approach.

I spend much time learning and researching my area of instruction. I have not reached out to other professionals about how they instruct online. I am new to online education and need to make some new connections.  Also, I need to relook at creating a professional development plan. I went back to school but have not made a plan.

"Credible, Candid, Compasionate, Committed, and Clear!" I can see where building on the five Cs you can project a confidence in the classroom that will support your learning enviornment. 

To be an Effective Educator one must be:

• Credible
  • Candid
  • Compassionate 
  • Committed 
  • Clear 

My take away was to lead by example (professional and demeaner) and motivation to inspire the passion you have for a subject.  Also, how important it is to continue learning and seeking advice from others with more experience. 

I intend to lead by example and stay current.

Convince students that I love psychology. Find ways to show my enthusiasm for the field. Also, create a professional development plan wth timelines.

I really appreciated that this module leans heavily into working with your personality and setting to be an effective educator. That, and be a "mad scientist"for your subjects. It keeps everyone engaged!

Know your content prior to class.

Show the students 2 things:

1 - you are not the smartest person in the room

2- you care about them

Motivate and encourage students! Yes!

I have learned the outline of what is essential for an educator. The 5 C's really impact the different key concepts in this module of role model, manager, cheerleader, into professional abilites technincal skills and instructional style. 

Sign In to comment