Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Setting aside the time to grab all material and get your class in order before the students even enter the classroom or Lab is key to demonstrating what you expect from the student and also setting up how the student sees you.

Learn more about myself and my students. Being prepared, organized and ready to start class on time.

Always be prepared when coming to class

I like the rubirc of teacher types presented at the beginnig of this module. I have to think a bit about where I stand, but somewhere between Drill Sargeant and Zen-type. It is always difficult to be in front of the student and to recognize my own teaching style and reflect on how I can change/modify it to meet the needs of such a diverse set of students. 

Knowing oneself, being prepared ahead of time and taking a pause are all credibility builders. 

I wish I had learned the bit about preparing guest speakers before last semester -- I wasn't sure how to direct them and several of them did just come & ramble the whole time - I definitely heard about it on my student course evaluations! Yikes! 

I hadn't considered deliberately examining your personality as it relates to your teaching style and then crossing that with how you interact with the class / students. A good thing to consider. Also, the part about being confident in front of the class and owning that you are the SME really resonated with me -- students can smell fear! :D 

Being prepared for class in always such going over all materials and content of course materials.

Early preparation and timeliness shows respect for you learners. Organization and preparation will provide learners with a sense of leadership and will provide clear expectations in the classroom. 

I really liked the analogy of the orchestra conductor. I'm a musician, and it really makes sense to look at the class as an orchestra, and class management means that the conductor must adjust and guide every instrument section to play its part in harmony with the other sections. I always have one or two drummers, maybe one trumpet, a couple of horns, a flute and a piccolo, and several soft strings :)

Every student plays an integral part of the whole class!

Arriving to the classroom with enough time to easily arrange the materials for the students. Plan and organize for possible field trips and guest speakers.

organization help for the "work" flow to go a lot smoother. This is one time that my OCD helps!

This module helped me to analyze and reflect my personality/teaching style and how it works with students. 

Reviewing my teaching style and making sure that I am organized and timely

Planning is everything. Being prepared is huge. Knowing how each student learns and knowing your teaching style is all key to success.

The thing I learned with this presentation is the simple aspect of using colored paper to vary your handouts. Great yet simple idea.

poor planning=poor performance. Practice the labs and know the results, have all MEP and equipment ready to go. 

Taking moments to pause and observe the class can go a long way in making adjustments to the class flow and to regroup. 

Taking the time to observe how students are making use of the classroom/lab space early on can be very valuable. 

Sign In to comment