Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

From this module, I learned to think about the different types of teaching styles, and the different types of classroom environments, and what effects they can have on the student.

Understanding my personality type is very important to know what type of teacher I am. 

Being organized and observing the students and the setting can improve the way my students see me as their instructor

Bringing industry partners into the classroom is an excellent way to connect learning to life. Besides being a student, my first introduction to a classroom was by being a guest speaker after I opened my first business. It was always interesting to experience the different sets of students. I always wondered what kind of questions they would ask me. When I invite guest speakers, I encourage them to bring pictures of their day-to-day experiences and have a few different questions ( more like fun facts they may not know) prepared to ask the students.

I took away the most from the time management solutions. It's so easy to get off-topic in conversation. It's hard to disengage when the students are invested in the discussion, but ensuring you go through all the contents is essential. Now, I will say that I have allowed the conversation to take over the class a time or two when it is almost teaching the subject matter.  

Sooo much to learn! In a nutshell, be prepared and observant.

Comment on Larry Canfield's post: I agree Larry, I have seen others using tons of post it notes and to me it appeared slightly sloppy. However, color coding some of the major points/areas seems like a great strategy. 

I learned that a pause of 20 seconds where you stand to the side of the classroom or laboratory and observe the students can be very useful and successful within the classroom dynamic. This would help me make any needed adjustments to keep the students engaged in the learning process.

how to establish teaching styles, how to keep students interested in subject matter.    

It is always good to review this type of instruction. Great reminders to improve the weak points and strengthen the strong ones

The more I know about myself and learn/observe my students, the better my teaching will be. Preparation and organization inside the classroom is key.

Reflecting on the instructors of my own past and figuring out the positives from each one and if I can implement some of each one in my own style. Also being sure to be organized and prepared with handouts early for each class. 

There are many types of teaching styles . Being prepared and early, ready to greet the students in the classroom will help the instructor gain the students respect.

Coming to class before students, being ready, pleasant, and well prepared is of upmost importance.

Preparation and knowing your students are key factors in being a successful teacher.

Utilizing different colored handouts for multiple forms, especially at the beginning of the year can be helpful. Additionally, creating observation sheets for field trips can keep the students focused and engaged.

Organization is probably the most important aspect. Having a plan before class begins is of the utmost importance. 

I'd like to look further into going on field trips or bringing in speakers to help give our students a well rounded approach.

I realized my focus has been more on the instruction of the subject matter than it has on being the "leader" of the class.

I have learned that being prepared and coming to class can really impact students. I also learned how to overcome my natural shyness at first. I also learned that it is important to be engaged with the learners and take some self reflection when teaching.

Sign In to comment