Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have learned that I would like to be a hybrid Instructor that shares both the Dead Poet Society and Socratic methods of instruction. I am excited about my position and know that I have a long way to go and so much to learn. I view this as a wonderful opportunity not only for myself but for my students. The Marine Systems industry constantly changes and I would like to be able to share updated industry information to our students. 

I will focus my preparation on my knowledge and class lectures and will work hard at having printed materials ready before I need them.  I have the opportunity to design a new course on campus and with my limited experience will reach out to experienced instructors for assistance.

I need to evaluate my personality and teaching methods. I am going to take a personality profile assessment to see what I get and I will work on that. 

Knowing my personality and teaching style can help me to develop better teaching statagies.  The different colored paper for handouts what a good idea. 

I enjoyed learning that taking the time to pause for 20 seconds and observe the students/class is a great way to keep in tune to everyone's learning needs.  Also, I liked the tip about adding more color to the print outs and having all the lecturing/handout tools out and ready for the students.

I totally agree by showing up on time but being prepared is crucial for the class and students as a whole. 

Nels Larson

Looking at myself and the classroom through the eyes of the student. I ask myself am I presenting the material in a logical manner.

Know the students,know your materials ,know your personality and know and use the abundance of tools at your disposal.student success is in your hands,.

Being organized and prepared in advance. 

This instructional module had a lot of good information and made me think in several different ways. 
I discovered that I am a learn by doing and a socratic instructor. I have always been self-reflective with the goal of growing in my role but I can be really hard on myself too. I have learned a great deal about teaching from my current  colleagues and am greatful to them for sharing. I liked the idea about using colored paper to get the student's attention and will suggest our school order some. I have wanted to use Guest Speakers and appreciate the ideas of how to go about that  in an effort to make it meaningful for all involved.

Kathleen O'Neil-Meyers

Looking at yourself in the mirror, am I a reflection of what I want my students what to see. Being organized and prepared prior to demonstrate that you care to your students and interested in their success. Field trips to show them their profession and getting them to engage during the trip. Bringing in speakers and preparing speaker for topics in your class, to bring real life experience into the classroom. Taking the time to pause in class to see if the students are engages, and make changes as needed. 

Preparing for class shows your students that you respect them and their time.  It also shows them that you are prepared to teach them.

This discussion forum will help me to make myself ready in front of the class and will also help me delivering the course materials to students in more interactive ways.

I feel being organized and ready is key to teaching. When I start my class the students always know I start on time and am always ready for them.

Being organized is essential to student success in the course. 

I must have all my class material preparted and ready to present to my class as soon as class starts

I still find it challenging to  pause during class time just to observe the students.  It makes sense, and I have to keep remind myself to do that.

Seth Soronnadi

Learned that; "A pause of approximately 20 seconds where you stand to the side of the classroom or laboratory and observe the students can be very worthwhile."

Being prepared and organized is essential for the success of any course

Learning environment is important for me to comprehend. There are different teaching styles that i use that are more beneficial to the students than other styles. Keeping their attention is important. One thing I will do is use colored handouts or visuals for the students.

There are many teaching sytles and each has a different impact on learning.  Preparation and classroom management are key, as is knowing you class demographic and the resources available.    

Sign In to comment