Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

On-going efforts

I think we do an excellent job on building commitment in the first week, even the first class or two. However, after the initial quarter, we start focusing on the next learning community of students in their first quarter. What kinds of activities have you put in place to make sure you don't lose touch with your contuing students? It seems like we treat new students special but then forget about them once they make it through the first quarter. Our retention is actually worse in their first program-specific course (third term) then it is in our first quarter classes.

Alumni Relations

I am interested in involving past graduates or successful senior students in our orientation process. Have any of you tried this approach to reducing students' fears and building excitement? If so, how do you track the graduates or students that might be a fit for this role?

Faculty at Orientation

We currently involve Program Directors for each of our programs of study. We do not involve faculty beyond that, though our Program Directors are indeed instructors. Does anyone have input regarding their faculty's role in orientation? Thank you, Christine Miller

"Interactive Orientation"

I really like the idea of creating stations and empahsizing movement in an orientation program. During our current setup, I feel that students sit stagnant and sometimes uncomfortable no matter what breaks in "speeches" and active participation we pepper throughout the program. Is there anyone out there that currently uses a "station" concept/format. If so, any pointers or comments? I appretiate the input!

What do you do when the students say they don't want to get involved in school?

I have made several attempts to start a student organization but I get little or no response. We have tried having them wear the same shirt as a way to show loyalty and there was an uproar. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Student Mentoring

Hello, I am interested in introducing a student mentoring program to hook an existing student in with a new student for guidance and support. Does anyone have any experience in doing this, and best practice for gaining motivated involvement from existing students to meet the capacity of need for mentors for new students?

Does anyone have any recommendations for helping fully Online students feel "connected" & part of a community?

For those colleges with some type of "formal" retention model (i.e. resources assigned). What is a reasonable ratio of student/advisor ratio?

Career schools can no longer afford not to invest in its students

The word is out. It's out at the federal, state, and accrediting levels. It's out at the local level through word of mouth and now the media. Too many career schools have forgotten that we're in the business of training our students to be professionally competitive and realize true success not only in the workplace, but in life. The average career school student typically chooses a proprietary school over a traditional two-to four-year school for one or more of three primary reasons. One, because the completion time is shorter; two, because the course(s) offered is really what they want to… >>>

Retention?

What can we do about students who really want to be in school but do not have the means to remain in school?

Enhancing First Week Activities

What process can you implement that will enhance your first week activities and make students more connected to your college?

Enhancing First Week Activities

What process can you implement that will enhance your first week activities and make students more connected to your college?

Sharing Student Information

What information do you collect in Admissions that Faculty could utilize to personalize interactions with students at orientation?

Team Approach in Orientation

What departments other than Admissions have the most interaction with students and how do you currently involve them in your orientation?

Team Approach in Orientation

What departments other than Admissions have the most interaction with students and how do you currently involve them in your orientation?

Addressing Student Fears

What activities are you currently including in your orientations that address student fears?

Addressing Student Fears

What activities are you currently including in your orientations that address student fears?

Addressing Student Fears

Be Consistent About Retention Intervention Discovery

It is important to be consistent in your approach at retention intervention. Here is a starting checklist. Please add more! 1. Get to know your students. Talk to them daily. 2. Aggressively respond to student's missing any classes. 3. Give them a call. 4. Provide tutoring and support 5. Look for changes in demeanor or personality. 6. Look for changes in grade pattern. 7. Make sure the truth and the student perception of that truth is you care.

Admissions/clarifying student expectations as a problem in developing student success systems

How do we deal with the very real fact that Admissions Representatives in schools are pressured to make their numbers at all costs...and will thus tell a student anything it's thought they want to hear; regarding if it impacts an accurate understanding by the new student of the realities they will face. The bottom line is all too often...just that. If a Rep is told to make numbers they won't tell a student something that might get in the way of making a sale...ethical or not.