Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

student mentoring

are there any additional ways to address the issue of student menoring struggling students?

My school has a student counsel which posts signs around the school to encourage struggling students to attend counsel meetings. At the meetings a variety of topics are discussed including life issues, i.e. day care, domestic situations, transportation. Also tutoring sessions are held for students having school difficulties.

I like the idea of a starting a student council to assist struggling students. However, our students seem so involved with their personal activities, work and school projects that I'm not sure how to motivate them to serve on the council. Do you have any suggestions?

Sharon

Perhaps if some award was attached or special recognition ceremony. Also, provide them with an open-door to the administrators of the college and to some faculty/department head meetings. This way they would know that they had some responsiblity and influence in some decisions. They (members) would be a conduit for students concerns and suggestions.

W.E. Moorefield

Sharon--

Based on your comments, I'm assuming that your institution is primarily composed of adults. This is difficult because as you noted, they have families, homes, sometimes work in addition to their classes.

Some of the schools have indicated they use this as a 'reward' program. Being in Career Services, you know that this can also be an excellent thing to note on their resumes as well--so there is an opportunity to advice students with potential to take this on.

Susan

Wesley--

I believe someone in this discussion thread did make some special recognition of their student mentors...at graduation and/or on a bulletin board. Your suggestions of having access to administration and departmental meetings are also an excellent ones. This allows the mentors to feel more empowered which normally results in increased ownership of the project.

Susan

In my mind, student mentoring is used to increase knowledge in the classroom. Many of the responses in this thread talk about "student council". I think student council is more for social or community service type events. We are developing a mentoring plan in our school but we are identifying students who are able to grasp the information and then communicate that info to others. We plan to have recognition at graduation in the form of announcing these students and giving a certificate thanking them for their efforts. We also believe that instructors should monitor progress of these mentoring sessions because they are ultimately responsible for student success in their class.

Charles--

You assessment is correct, as well as those of the other participants. A mentor should really do both 'content' in a profession and provide them with general support. The mentor will receive as much back as the mentee by gaining an opportunity to practice leadership skills.

A supervisory process for the mentors is critical to make sure they are on track and providing their charges with the appropriate information, so special kudos on that one!

Susan

I like this idea to of having graduate student talk in orientation it will be a lot of support for the new student.

my school is just starting a skills class for students that need to improve there skills that they did not comprehend or missed class that day.

Sign In to comment