Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

instructor involvement during orientation

I am interested in any feed back concerning active participation of instructors during orientation?

Maureen--

In this forum (last question on the forum page) there are excellent suggestions regarding this. Several of the schools have faculty actively involved and interacting with students. I'm sure they would be happy to share their tactics with you.

Susan

We have an orientation but the faculty do not get much of a chance to say anything, we are merely introduced. I would personally like some more "air" time at the orientation.

Wesley--

Faculty involvement in orientation, as you point out, is important. It really makes the 'hand off' from Admissions to faculty a smooth one if students have the opportunity to begin building relationships prior to actually starting classes. Faculty can also set the stage for classroom expectations and get them excited about the career opportunities as well.

Susan

Maureen we have a limited involvement as our school wishes to be politically correct and cover all bases for our accredidation. The faculty have to eventually make up for what was left out. Faculty has to take the student as is when they finish at orientation and bring the school's focus back on the student. The students then feel as if they made the right choice for them.

Joseph--

I'm assuming based on your comment that this happens after orientation. Is there a consistent effort among the faculty at your institution to 'reconnect' them to the school and career preparation?

Susan

We hand out schedules following orientation and that is the first time we as Academic Advisors' meet the student. They have been told all the things admissions tell them and now the work sets in. We don't know why they deceided on our program, just a number. We get their inspiration going with our introduction as this must last 2 years at least.

Joseph--

So, I gather from your comments that none of the information that Admissions is collecting makes it to your hands...potential barriers, goals, etc. That is unfortunate since Admissions already has identified those things and it would make you much more effective if you knew and didn't have to start from scratch.

Susan

I believe it is VERY important for instructors to participate in orientation, not just administration. That way, they are all introduced and any question can be geared and answered by both.

Faculty participation is critical. This is where the students spend the most amount of time and building the bridge with instructors is a key component. The sooner they are introduced and the bonding begins the better for all concerned.

Susan

I haven't experienced instructor involvement in orientations other than program chairs. I would like to know how this works with mostly adjunct faculty who are teaching during the scheduled orientation times.

Program chairs are ideal for this role, but including adjuncts if and where possible is the best scenario since the students will also be interacting with them.

In some cases, schools have paid them a stipend to attend and participate. With adjuncts, it is always difficult to get them more involved.

Susan

I have all my instructors, present during Orientation. I belive that knowing that everyone at the school is interested in helping them and has their best interest in mind. They all get introduced and explain what class they teach and let them know that they are there to help them.

Jesse

This allows the instructor to voice their point of view and expectations.

Helping with the orientation process allows the students time become more comfortable.

I agree, we also do not get to speak to the students during orientation. This happens because our orientation takes place on the first day of classes and the instrutor are in class (if they have 2nd mod classes).

Instructor involvement is a postive way to start a new student on campus. When he or she arrives for class they will be ready to start class with someone they have already meant and know.

Orientation is a great way to introduce the students to their teachers. This helps them to relax and not feel timid or scared.

Very important, being able to put a name on the face of people you are going to pass by every day when you will start school. Not feel like a stranger. Yes, to instructors during orientation.

Instructor involvement at orientation can have a resounding effecton new students. we have some instructors who attend orientation to talk to the students and I cant count the number of students who come up later and tell how the instructors made a big impression. some even said that they signed up for some classes because the instructors made that strong of an impression on them.

Sign In to comment