Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Welcome Packets

I want to stress the importance of providing a welcome packet of info for new students. I have helped coordinate many orientation sessions at our institute. This was the first orientation in which we implemented the welcome packets. Of course, all new students probably receive a dictionary sized stack of paperwork at any orientation. However, when we PERSONALIZED these stacks into a concise and neat folder, I noticed a couple of things. First, a greater percentage of the required forms to be filled out by the students were returned properly and promptly. Second, it seemed to reinforce the students sense of "belonging" as a first time student. It is a good looking folder with the student's name printed on the front as well as a copy of the student's schedule and other documents in the folder. I also included personalized instructions on how to access the particular student's e-mail and online records account. This will now be a permanent fixture at all of our future orientation sessions.

Andrew--

Excellent news! I hadn't really considered the side effect of having the forms completed in a more timely and accurate manner. That certainly is a great benefit for the schools and I think reinforces the fact students feel more connected as a result. No doubt it makes it much more fun to read if they know you made it specifically for them.

Congrats!

Susan

We have a similar welcome folder at my school. It includes a school pen and CD opener (we're an institution for Audio) along with a packet of forms the student needs to fill out and their tuition payment schedule. We also provide students with the school catalog at orientation.

Sounds like a great idea...The extra thought that goes into the welcome packet must impress the student. I'll definitely be giving this idea some serious thought.

You are correct, it is much more work to personalize everything. However, it DOES make a significant impact and impression on the students and lets them know we are serious about treating them personally.

At our institution we provide every student with a backpack. This bag has the school's name printed on it. At the orientation day they are told to use that bag to carry they're books. So along with the scrub uniforms that they have to use, they will look all alike, and at the same time we create a sense of discipline.
So, no excuses for not bringing they're books, we provide these bags totally free.
These bags include the school's catalog, pens, pencils, key chains and other welcome papers.
And as you said, it reinforce the students sense of "belonging" as a first time student.

What do you think about providing student IDs the same day as orietation?

This seems to be a good idea that we are not utilizing.

This is an old post but this sounds like a great idea. It doesn't surprise me that taking such measures in welcoming students would yield the results that you've mentioned. Fine work indeed.

i think the welcome packets are a great idea! they allow the student to become less stressed about the first day and it shows they are welcomed.

Sign In to comment